We are moving to Peru! Should we bring our items or buy new one in peru ?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
opigez58

We are moving to Peru! Should we bring our items or buy new one in peru ?

Postby opigez58 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:32 pm

I am from Europe, living in the US and married to a beautiful Peruvian woman. My wife and I were visiting Peru every year and finally, we have decided to move there.
We are buying a house there but we are not sure either to bring all of our household items from our 5 bedroom house in the US or some of it! According to the link below and as per our conversation with Peru consulate we are free of duty since she is a returning citizen:
https://usgshipping.com/shipping-to-cen ... u-from-usa
But we still need to have the customs cleared upon arrival and have a truck to bring our items to our new house? My questions are:
- Assuming we will lose about 15 k to sell the items here, is it worth to just buy new items in Peru and do not go to this hassle?
- Does anyone know a reliable Customs Broker in Chile who can help us with the clearance and delivery from port of callao?

Your feedback will be greatly appreciated,
Vincent

windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: We are moving to Peru! Should we bring our items or buy new one in peru ?

Postby windsportinperu » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:43 pm

Hello Opigez

We might consider that have to pay an extra cost in electric voltage converter for all kind of household electric appliances because of the 110v voltage in US vs 220v voltage in Peru. In the case of Refrigerator and big things like that those electric voltage are big and bulky

In case of electric stove the consume of power in terms of money is very expensive vs relative cheap natural gas or LPG kitchen stove

It is better to make a detailed list of what should be imported and what should not be
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:43 pm

Keep only things that are near and dear.
Too much of a hassle trying to import it all.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:57 pm

I like the "near and dear" comment. Mostly true. If you have quality china, pots pans, bed linen and quality furniture, you might want to pack it; while its pretty much available here too, you pay a premium, and may not find what you like. And as mentioned before, check your appliances to make sure they can run on 220. Note that most stoves here run on gas and electricity is more expensive than you are probably used to.

Good luck with your move. Will you settle in Lima, or someplace else?

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register