380 soles - economic stimulus

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

380 soles - economic stimulus

Postby woodchuck » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:12 pm

My wife showed me an article online where the Peruvian government will be providing 380 soles to people who have been affected by the Covid-19 virus. Will this be enough to lessen the recession that is looming?
Best wishes & stay safe.

alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 380 soles - economic stimulus

Postby alan » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:09 pm

Well, in a sense we are ALL being affected by the crisis, but the payment will go to the people the govt has determined do not have enough cash to get through the next week. I am curious to see how the distribution plays out. Tough to see people going to their neighborhood bank or bank stations installed in stores, without creating crowds.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:51 pm

Alan, has this type of stimulus program ever been used in Peru previously?
The US has used stimulus programs previously with checks and direct deposits to eligible persons based on income.
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:29 am

Not to my knowledge. Really, it's not a stimulus program, but a social program. It's not that different than the Pension 65 (which gives elderly poor a basic pension, in spite of the fact there were no contributions), or the Juntos program that gives money to poor families (if they comply with certain requirements, like vaccinating their kids). The State is using the same rosters for this payment, and adding information collected by the ONPE and also the latest census to widen the base of recipients.

I worry that Venezuelans here don't have access to any subsidy at all.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register