Americans say officials in Peru doused them in bleach after holding them in forced quarantine

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Americans say officials in Peru doused them in bleach after holding them in forced quarantine

Postby Alan » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:20 pm

Personally, I wouldn't consider it despicable, but it was certainly an exaggeration, not well thought-out, and poorly communicated. I feel the same way when I see the crews on the news going willy-nilly down the street, spray blasting everything in site. I assume that that is bleach, too.

My question is where municipalities and countries are getting their advice from? The WHO? The Ministry of Health? From Wuhan and Italy?

Like the adage goes, you need to work smarter, not harder, but when people are scared and feel the urgent need to take action, you are going to see some crazy stuff.
-----
"Hay que distanciarnos hoy para luego abrazarnos más fuerte".
-Guiseppe Conte, primer ministro italiano.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Americans say officials in Peru doused them in bleach after holding them in forced quarantine

Postby windsportinperu » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:47 pm

We all are at the beginning of the sickness. Nobody really know what is the right procedure and what is the wrong procedure

China has been bleaching all the Streets during months

Connectitut an small State of USA of about 3,5 millions of people has more deaths (380) than Whole Peru with limited resources and 32 millions (138 deaths)

It is a hard to fight sickness and Peru is trying to make the best possible scenario, so complaining about some bleach on our clothing only denote that those Americans do not fully understand the magnitude of coronavirus , yet
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:22 pm

windsportinperu wrote:

I had the opportunity to go to China 4 years ago. One thing that surprised me was the habit of many men to spit on the street, or into the trash cans in stores. I am not making any judgments.. it is a simple observation. Probably not a good habit in times of a virus though.
-----
"Hay que distanciarnos hoy para luego abrazarnos más fuerte".
-Guiseppe Conte, primer ministro italiano.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:43 am

windsportinperu wrote:We all are at the beginning of the sickness. Nobody really know what is the right procedure and what is the wrong procedure

Connectitut an small State of USA of about 3,5 millions of people has more deaths (380) than Whole Peru with limited resources and 32 millions (138 deaths)

It is a hard to fight sickness and Peru is trying to make the best possible scenario, so complaining about some bleach on our clothing only denote that those Americans do not fully understand the magnitude of coronavirus , yet

You got one thing right, almost, "Nobody really know what is the right procedure and what is the wrong procedure". We do know what the wrong procedure is.
According to the W.H.O. as stated in the article Formidable provided "The World Health Organization has warned that spraying people with chlorine and other powerful disinfectants can harm their eyes and mouths and “will not kill viruses that have already entered” the body. Bleach and alcohol can be an effective disinfectant on hard surfaces". As Formidable said "a despicable act".
noclevername
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby noclevername » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:47 am

Alan wrote:Personally, I wouldn't consider it despicable, but it was certainly an exaggeration, not well thought-out, and poorly communicated. I feel the same way when I see the crews on the news going willy-nilly down the street, spray blasting everything in site. I assume that that is bleach, too.

My question is where municipalities and countries are getting their advice from? The WHO? The Ministry of Health? From Wuhan and Italy?

Like the adage goes, you need to work smarter, not harder, but when people are scared and feel the urgent need to take action, you are going to see some crazy stuff.

This makes sense to me.

Spraying things down doesn't seem to be having any practical effect since from what I'm reading the overwhelming majoirty of cases are because of personal contact and not for infected surfaces. Spraying down the street seems pointless.

Governments are likely motivated by the need to appear to be doing something, anything, instead of nothing, even if that something has no real positive effect.

We all see the curfew violating detainees getting sprayed down on the news once they're loaded into the back of the police pickup trucks. Whether it's effective or not, I don't blame the cops for wanting to do so, since they're the ones who have to physically handle these people who are usually without masks or gloves. I don't think tourists getting lined up to be sprayed down is all that despicable, even though it's likely unnessary. Bleach stained clothing will likely be the least of their bad memories they remember from this experience. My guess is when this is all over more people will have become sick and there will be more deaths due to coronavirus then there will be cases of people who have become ill because they were sprayed down with a likely diluted bleach solution.

Like a lot of us expats, I often get mistaken for being a tourist. Lot of people I talk with think I'm European. When this was all first starting I was wondering if people I passed on the street thought of me as a foreign tourist, virus spreading danger. Since the source of the cases in Peru originated from tourists and those returning from vacations to Europe it's not unusual that people are going to fear them, want them contained (like the rest of us stuck in the house), and maybe, like new prisoners to jail, sprayed down to prevent the spread of any potential disease in the larger general population.

I feel bad for the Americans, but being sprayed down with a mild bleach containing solution and stained clothing is probably the least of their problems. I think what's done by the police who tear gas and beat people in pro-democracy demonstrations is worse.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:16 am

69road, Your statement is easy to refute, but I really do not want to cause you any stressful situation as the last time we were talking in another thread

Even though you are a smart person, sometimes you take this online conversation personnally, So in this case, I will not answer you , because in this time of Coronavirus, we should be calm and relaexed

If you promise to take this conversation as an interchange of thoughts and oppinions, I will reconsider to change my position in the future

i can tell you that always is been a pleasure and interesting to talk with you

I wish you the Best of all Worlds
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:26 am

Yeah you are probably right. Good choice on your part. You don't want to touch this hornets nest again.
But it does sound like you are saying I need some education. Educate me. However I will not let you dictate terms and by asking for promises. This is a forum to exchange ideas not a windsport dictatorship.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:05 pm

[quote="windsportinperu"]We all are at the beginning of the sickness. Nobody really know what is the right procedure and what is the wrong procedure

While your numbers are alarming if not impressive, they don't tell the whole story. Despite the fact that Connecticut is right next door to New York, the hardest hit and in fact the most concentrated, densely populated area of the US. Let's take a closer look.
Over 6,000 people per million in the US have been tested. Compared to a mere 654 per million in Peru. So Peru, with its limited resources, has only made one tenth, per million, tests that the US has. So, it stands to reason US would have higher numbers than a country with it's limited resources and limited tests.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:30 am

69roadrunner wrote:Yeah you are probably right. Good choice on your part. You don't want to touch this hornets nest again.
But it does sound like you are saying I need some education. Educate me. However I will not let you dictate terms and by asking for promises. This is a forum to exchange ideas not a windsport dictatorship.

As you have clearly said, This converstions is Hornet Nest, for you

I hope one day you will finally change the perspective you have about online conversations

And no .. Vizcarra is not a Tyrant and I am not a Dictator :)
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:32 pm

I must say I am honored you decided to you decided to converse with me. Does this mean you you took back your edict?
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:10 pm

As long as the conversation is not taken as Hornets Net , as now , everything is fine :)
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:13 pm

All up to you, son. I have nothing to say on the matter, do as you wish.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register