The Coronavirus Immunity Card

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

The Coronavirus Immunity Card

Postby alan » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:59 pm

Here is something that will stir up some controversy in society. A coronavirus card, that shows employers, checkpoints, stores.. whatever.. that you have had the virus, and now are (hopefully) immune.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/19/worl ... -news.html

windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: The Coronavirus Card

Postby windsportinperu » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:31 pm

I am not sure what means "Coronavirus Card"

Probably just a Certification that someone has been sick and recovered, but inmune ?

Chile has a very weird Health Minister, his non-sense comments are known inside and outside of the Country

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii66aFMggNU
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: The "Coronavirus Card" (immunity card)

Postby alan » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:11 am

windsportinperu wrote:I am not sure what means "Coronavirus Card"

Probably just a Certification that someone has been sick and recovered, but inmune ?

That is absolutely correct. It is an immunity card (I clarified the title of the post). The risk is that - since it will create two levels within the citizenry - there will be an incentive to get one, and folks might be inclined to get ill on purpose in order to qualify. Obviously, that has risks.

On the other hand, you can see how a card like this would make sense.
noclevername
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby noclevername » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:11 am

In the Soderbergh movie 'Contagion' the Matt Damon character is shown to have a natural immunity to MEV-1, the fictional virus that resembles COVID-19. Later on in the film he's shown flashing a wristband to a soldier which grants him access or the ability to pass. On the surface it sounds like a good idea.

Probably would be controversial. You'd have to give the govt. access to your personal health information. There's already trepidation about tracking people's movements by tracking where their cell phones have been in order for the authorities to have a better idea how the virus spreads. Also wonder if it would just be a simple plastic card or sticker for your DNI/CE, or a card with protection devices like holographic images and maybe a scanable magnetic strip so that it could be verified that the holder is who they say they are and the card would be linked to a database that confirms the holder is actually immune.

First thing that came to my mind was that there'd be a large demand for an identity card that "proves" the holder is immune to COVID-19 and thus gives the holder permission to be out and about. As Alan mentioned, some would be willing to intentioanlly contract the virus so they could get the card faster. Would put a greater strain on an already stretched thin health care system. Where there's demand, someone is going to create supply to fulfill that demand. I wouldn't be surprised to see black market counterfeit immunity cards. The way to make that harder is to make the cards more detailed and intricate instead of just a piece of laminated plastic or a sticker for your DNI/CE. But again, more detail and intricacies likely means the govt. having more personal information.

There's also no proof at this time that if you contract the virus and survive that you will then have immunity. From what I've heard the experts suggest that some past viruses have worked this way, but it's too early at this point to be certain that's how this virus, in it's current form, will be. Also, viruses mutate and change, so..... yet another thing up in the air about this whole situation.
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerard » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:50 am

No need for a physical card - this could just be a tag against your DNI/CE in RENIEC, accessed by those who need to know via a website or app. Just like checking where to vote etc. Stuff like this is easy when you already have a system in place that gives everyone an ID card already.
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: The Coronavirus Immunity Card

Postby alan » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:57 am

Just a note.. I updated the subject line of the OP for clarity.
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:59 am

gerard wrote:No need for a physical card - this could just be a tag against your DNI/CE in RENIEC, accessed by those who need to know via a website or app. Just like checking where to vote etc. Stuff like this is easy when you already have a system in place that gives everyone an ID card already.

That's a good point. Is this how they are managing the roadblocks now? (allowing the people with travel permission to transit)
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerard » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:34 pm

For the S/.380 bono I saw plenty of footage of the police checking names on phones, and the drivers of private cars being stopped seem to hold up their phones to show something quite often, so it seems that some verifications are already available electronically, although perhaps they're just screenshots of the various web sites. My wife prints her salvoconduta every other day as they only last for 48 hours.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register