Preppers

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Preppers

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:18 pm

noclevername wrote:I see free dumb or the freedom to be dumb. People contracting this virus and passing it along to others when they don't need to. Probably loved ones and friends who are also ignoring the advice of the experts on how to stay safe and keep your family safe.

Guess it depends if one thinks making a short term sacrifice so they can enjoy their freedoms and lives for a longer period of time is better personal strategy than than short term thinking and voluntarily increasing their (and loved ones, like grandma and grandpa, those with compromised immune systems, etc.) odds of dying from this. Some people are willing to make personal sacrifices for both themselves and the greater good, some aren't. Some are short term thinkers, some long term thinkers. The sacrifices older generations made during WWII to contribute to the war effort comes to mind. Maybe they realized freedom isn't free, and sometimes there's a price to pay whether it's sacrificing your life fighting on the front lines or making the necessary personal sacrifices back home. People seemed to be tougher back then. I find it odd that the protestors are the prepper types. Wouldn't be surprised if they had a years' worth of supplies stashed away, yet they're out risking their lives and the lives of others who they'll come in contact with and those who get sick will putting unneeded stress on the health care system. Just so they can complain about having to make a sacrifice for the greater good. If they're going to complain about something like this when they're prepared to wait this out, what would they do in a tougher situation? Snowflakes.

People just have different opinions on sacrifice, tyranny, etc.. People are going to do what they do. Actions have consequences. Some places are going to have to deal with this pandemic longer because of their actions. Other places, like New Zealand, are starting to get back to normal and with minimal loss of life because they took this situation seriously. I guess they're the type of people who'd rather do what's necessary to most quickly end a bad situation instead of dragging it out. Time will tell in a situation that's really just starting and with so much still unknown. Hopefully it's not like the pandemic of 1918 with it's far deadlier second wave.

There is a bit of irony about the preppers. I know a guy via social media that has been a prepper since the Great Recession but he's not a protester.

Large and in charge!
noclevername
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Corona Crazy

Postby noclevername » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:38 pm

Sorry, only meant to generalize, not suggest that all preppers are protestors or all protestors are preppers.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:24 pm

On a somewhat side note, this event has helped push "prepping" the the mainstream by reminding us that we are all vulnerable to sudden, unexpected events that can have a dramatic impact on our lives.

Considering that we live in earthquake country - and will be affected more than many other countries by climate change - it makes sense to give disaster preparation some rational thought. It's not just about having a stockpile of guns hidden in the woods anymore. Rather, put aside some cash, a couple weeks food and medicine, think about your water supply, and plan who - if anybody - you would collaborate with.

I came across this website and think that it offers a lot of good advice.. not wierd at all. https://theprepared.com/
-----
"Hay que distanciarnos hoy para luego abrazarnos más fuerte".
-Guiseppe Conte, primer ministro italiano.
noclevername
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby noclevername » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:38 pm

The ultimate way to prep for any coming calamity is to be able to grow your own food, and provide your own water and power sources. My neighbor and I were talking about this across our rooftops the other day and we both noted that 20-30 years ago we were both better prepared to do this. Now I'm lazy and dependent on the system for work so I can earn money to spend on food and other necessities of city life. Times like this I miss being more self suficient living on permaculture projects and organic farms in more isolated places.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Fri May 01, 2020 12:07 pm

That's right. Growing your own food is not much of an option for many, especially city dwellers, and it's part of the long term plan, due to seasonal and weather factors. It's a big step to aquire and prepare a property suitable for growing, and personally speaking, I don't think I could keep the survivalist mentality long enough to carry it through.

But, having a bucket of beans, a few more of rice, a cistern of water, tools, stove, simple medicine and a couple of jugs of wine.. well, that's possible.

Happy Labour Day to all.

Any travel plans for the weekend?

:D
-----
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bigdaddy » Sat May 02, 2020 8:44 am

It's a great idea for people to know a bit of survival techniques even if they're not a loner or survivalist because you never know when you'll find yourself in a survival situation.
Basic things like the starting a fire with a magnesium flint striker or rubbing a couple of sticks together and learning to cook out of a can with a few twigs.
Large and in charge!
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Sat May 02, 2020 10:57 am

Yeah, maybe.

I read a story once from a Peruvian who said that when he was young he had mocked the pronunciation of a worker from the highlands that was doing carpentry in his home. His dad overheard him and said something to the effect of: "He pronounces words differently than you. That's true. Now, can you build a roof like he is doing? Put in a window? No? Well.. maybe you should shut up then". Being skilled at Microsoft Office won't be much good if the lights go out for a couple weeks.

The post 1950's North American and European generations have had things pretty good overall, so most of them fall into the trap of thinking "well, since it's all I have seen, it's what I can expect forever". What we are seeing now is a reminder of how naive and blissfully unaware we are. Most of us don't want to consider tragedy or death. It's uncomfortable, and avoiding it is human nature.

It's curious. Why are some people different and they do take the measures? Is it because they are paranoid? Rational? They have seen other experiences and were impacted? Is it in the DNA and hereditary?
-----

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register