domestic maids, cooks, etc.

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

domestic maids, cooks, etc.

Postby calygirl » Sun May 03, 2020 12:24 pm

I'm currently not in Peru, but spent many years traveling back and forth from the US and once owned a condo in Miraflores. I've been reading about Peru's strict rules about staying home during this time. It got me thinking about the the other parts of everyday life in Lima that I recall. Are families allowed to continue to employ domestic help in their homes?

alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: domestic maids, cooks, etc.

Postby alan » Sun May 03, 2020 2:30 pm

calygirl wrote:I'm currently not in Peru, but spent many years traveling back and forth from the US and once owned a condo in Miraflores. I've been reading about Peru's strict rules about staying home during this time. It got me thinking about the the other parts of everyday life in Lima that I recall. Are families allowed to continue to employ domestic help in their homes?

Yes, if they can get a permit based on the care of someone old or ill. But many families choose not too, since it means someone coming and going into the home, and riskier still, a person who arrives on public transport - with all that that entails during a pandemic. Probably there are cases where housekeepers stay in the home and quarantine with the family they work for, but most folks I know are fending for themselves. The more consciencious ones continue to pay a salary, or at least a portion of the salary.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Tue May 05, 2020 1:32 pm

My friends have had their help "shelter in place" with them. We could not do that as our help has children at home. We have continued too pay her salary, but are unsure of what we will do in the future as we can not have her tested everyday!
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Tue May 05, 2020 4:18 pm

I thought this was a clever business pivot for one of the backpacker hostels in Miraflores... of course, it doesn't address the problem of having the housekeeper leave once a week to go home. Still, it's interesting to see how businesses are shuffling.

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-05 at 1.47.21 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-05-05 at 1.47.21 PM.jpeg (207.04 KiB) Viewed 735 times

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register