Peru did it again ! First Exporting Country of BlueBerries Arandanos in the World

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
User avatar
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1561
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 3:11 pm

Peru did it again ! First Exporting Country of BlueBerries Arandanos in the World

Postby windsportinperu » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:54 pm

Confirmed , Peru is 1º exporting country of BlueBerries in the World , during 2 consecutive years

Not so bad !

https://youtu.be/1pBGkAi981w


woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 818
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:43 pm

Re: Peru did it again ! First Exporting Country of BlueBerries Arandanos in the World

Postby woodchuck » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:15 pm

I have noticed that the availability & price of blueberries is excellent compared to several years ago.

Best wishes & stay safe.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 578
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Peru did it again ! First Exporting Country of BlueBerries Arandanos in the World

Postby 69roadrunner » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:59 pm

That is curious. In terms of world production, Peru at 95 tons, does not even rate in the top ten world wide producers. #10 , on the list produces nearly three times as much as Peru, curious.
Never looked at Metro or whatever, not a berry eater but In Lima I have never seen any berries of any kind.
https://www.hortidaily.com/article/6026 ... countries/
User avatar
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3157
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Peru did it again ! First Exporting Country of BlueBerries Arandanos in the World

Postby alan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:53 am

69roadrunner wrote:That is curious. In terms of world production, Peru at 95 tons, does not even rate in the top ten world wide producers. #10 , on the list produces nearly three times as much as Peru, curious.
Never looked at Metro or whatever, not a berry eater but In Lima I have never seen any berries of any kind.
https://www.hortidaily.com/article/6026 ... countries/



Exporter, not producer. There is hardly any local consumption at all.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 578
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Peru did it again ! First Exporting Country of BlueBerries Arandanos in the World

Postby 69roadrunner » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:30 am

alan wrote:
69roadrunner wrote: In terms of world production



Exporter, not producer. There is hardly any local consumption at all.


Did I not make that clear 'In terms of world production'?
samthesham
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:33 pm

Re: Peru did it again ! First Exporting Country of BlueBerries Arandanos in the World

Postby samthesham » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:30 pm

alan wrote:
69roadrunner wrote:That is curious. In terms of world production, Peru at 95 tons, does not even rate in the top ten world wide producers. #10 , on the list produces nearly three times as much as Peru, curious.
Never looked at Metro or whatever, not a berry eater but In Lima I have never seen any berries of any kind.
https://www.hortidaily.com/article/6026 ... countries/



Exporter, not producer. There is hardly any local consumption at all.


re: local consumption
Why do you think that is? Price of the berries? Lack of a market presence?
Fear of trying something different?
User avatar
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3157
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Peru did it again ! First Exporting Country of BlueBerries Arandanos in the World

Postby alan » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:55 am

samthesham wrote:
alan wrote:
69roadrunner wrote:That is curious. In terms of world production, Peru at 95 tons, does not even rate in the top ten world wide producers. #10 , on the list produces nearly three times as much as Peru, curious.
Never looked at Metro or whatever, not a berry eater but In Lima I have never seen any berries of any kind.
https://www.hortidaily.com/article/6026 ... countries/



Exporter, not producer. There is hardly any local consumption at all.


re: local consumption
Why do you think that is? Price of the berries? Lack of a market presence?
Fear of trying something different?



I bought a kilo of berries in San Juan de Miraflores the other day at an outdoor market. The price was 10 soles a kilo, which seems like a bargain. I've also seem people sell them off carts in downtown Lima, so there is clearly some market penetration.

Personally, I don't think the habit is there yet. They are not part of any local recipes that I know of. Probably, this will change little by little.

We need to start a blueberry pancake revolution here.
noclevername
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:09 pm

Re: Peru did it again ! First Exporting Country of BlueBerries Arandanos in the World

Postby noclevername » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:13 am

I'm all for a blueberry pancake revolution. When I spent time in Sweden I noticed blueberry soup was popular.
User avatar
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1561
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: Peru did it again ! First Exporting Country of BlueBerries Arandanos in the World

Postby windsportinperu » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:11 pm

It seem to be that we already has the Recipe for Blueberries Pancake online . . .

https://youtu.be/C8PyyJ-Pr90

Is it as the one you ate abroad ?
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 578
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Peru did it again ! First Exporting Country of BlueBerries Arandanos in the World

Postby 69roadrunner » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:09 pm

Uhhh, that is not exactly a pancake, at least not where I come from. Normally they are cooked on a griddle or frying pan.
samthesham
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:33 pm

Re: Peru did it again ! First Exporting Country of BlueBerries Arandanos in the World

Postby samthesham » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:21 pm

Yeah, a pancake isn't a cake. It's more like a Frisbee shaped object that has been flattened and fried.
User avatar
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1561
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: Peru did it again ! First Exporting Country of BlueBerries Arandanos in the World

Postby windsportinperu » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:35 pm

Ahhh, ok...

Something like this ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYwzW6CCxJU
samthesham
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:33 pm

Re: Peru did it again ! First Exporting Country of BlueBerries Arandanos in the World

Postby samthesham » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:27 pm

windsportinperu wrote:Ahhh, ok...

Something like this ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYwzW6CCxJU


Yeah, those are made from scratch.
Easier to buy a box of pancake mix something like Aunt Jemima if you can find it and add whatever you like.
Blueberries, strawberries, bananas, nuts.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aunt_Jemima
User avatar
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3157
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Peru did it again ! First Exporting Country of BlueBerries Arandanos in the World

Postby alan » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:42 pm

noclevername wrote:I'm all for a blueberry pancake revolution. When I spent time in Sweden I noticed blueberry soup was popular.


Who would have thunk that that was a thing. I Googled "blueberry soup, and it looks delicious. It seems similar to Peruvian "masamora", minus the Maple syrup.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 818
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:43 pm

Re: Peru did it again ! First Exporting Country of BlueBerries Arandanos in the World

Postby woodchuck » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:35 am

Plaza Vea has a good pancake mix that is reasonably priced.
Blanca Flor - 720 g.
Enjoy & stay safe.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 578
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Peru did it again ! First Exporting Country of BlueBerries Arandanos in the World

Postby 69roadrunner » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:46 am

I don't know where you are from but those aren't pancakes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvAALUPfVLU
samthesham
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:33 pm

Re: Peru did it again ! First Exporting Country of BlueBerries Arandanos in the World

Postby samthesham » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:17 am

noclevername wrote:I'm all for a blueberry pancake revolution. When I spent time in Sweden I noticed blueberry soup was popular.


Sounds delicious.
Leave it to the Swedes for thinking outside the box.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register