What does Peru need?

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

What does Peru need?

Postby woodchuck » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:06 pm

I am talking about other business and/or services in other countries.
Best wishes & stay safe.
Merry Christmas to all.

69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: What does Peru need?

Postby 69roadrunner » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:41 am

A restaurant that sells Mexican Food, heck I'd settle for some corn tortillas.
A steak house. Pancake/waffle house. In general, good restaurants.
T bone steaks at Metro
samthesham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby samthesham » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:38 am

woodchuck wrote:I am talking about other business and/or services in other countries.
Best wishes & stay safe.
Merry Christmas to all.

An importer of CBD oil.
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:20 pm

69roadrunner wrote:A restaurant that sells Mexican Food, heck I'd settle for some corn tortillas.
A steak house. Pancake/waffle house. In general, good restaurants.
T bone steaks at Metro

You never see T bone steaks here, except from time to time in steak houses. There are a ton of these, by the way, mostly Argentine style. Maybe you are thinking of an American style place.

Corn tortillas show up in Vivanda.

They opened an I Hop in Lima. So far just one. https://ihopperu.com/
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:29 pm

Nope, no t bones, ANYWHERE. I have looked. That Argentinian place, negetory. Been there done that. Would not recommend. If there are other steak houses, they must be hidden pretty good. Maybe you could point the way.
Have you tasted those tortillas? Cardboard and they are a weird purple color. Been there done that too.
Hmm IHOP, thanks but I can just imagine. I remember Subway arriving, another disappointment as Chili's is.
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerard » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:51 pm

69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:18 pm

Clean water pumped into homes. And not just cold water. How about all homes plumbed with 2 spickets one for cold and one for hot at ALL receptcals.
Refried beans
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:38 pm

Looks nice and real pricey a little out of my range. Any place where I can buy it off the hoof and take it home and burn it myself? That is what Peru really needs and yes I have been to those out door markets with chickens and cows hanging on hooks with flies buzzing around ready to be sliced up, flies and all, disgusting.
Awfully purdy pictures, been there done that too. Have you actually been there? How long have you out of Peru, now? Maybe you could include a review.
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerard » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:44 pm

69roadrunner wrote:Clean water pumped into homes. And not just cold water. How about all homes plumbed with 2 spickets one for cold and one for hot at ALL receptcals.
Refried beans

I've never heard of hot water being pumped into houses. Where do they do that?

https://www.plazavea.com.pe/conserva-old-el-paso-frejoles-tradicionales-lata-453gr/p Maybe a little pricey and out of your range though. That's a pretty hefty markup compared to US prices.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:53 pm

Uhhh... Don't know how they do it in England but generally it comes from a hot water heater in the home pumped by cold water. Water from outside is pumped to the home and what is in the home? A hot water heater. For the hot water to reach the faucet cold water must pumped into it.
How did you think hot water gets into the home?
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerard » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:12 pm

How did you think hot water gets into the home?

Exactly like that, but you're the one who said
Clean water pumped into homes. And not just cold water.

Good to see you agree though - if you want hot water you get a heater and plumb your house for it, just like everywhere else, and just like people in Peru who have hot water have done. So not something that Peru needs as it already has it. Same as those T-bone steaks and refried beans.

You'll be telling us they don't have an electric bus next :)
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:25 pm

Your point? I have not found a t bone.
Well, I will settle for clean, drinkable water. Ok?
Did I ever disagree? Where?
Have you seen an electric bus in service in Peru? Qh!!! You are in England and have been for years.
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerard » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:27 pm

1. That you haven't found a t-bone doesn't mean they don't exist.
2. OK
3. Did I say you disgareed? Where?
4. Yes. https://www.atv.pe/noticia/lima-presentan-primer-bus-electrico-que-operara-en-el-corredor-rojo
5. Let me look out of the window. Not dark and cold. Can't be the UK. Looks like Lima. Can't really see how my location affects the actuality of t-bones, refried beans, hot water and electric buses existing in Peru though.

As to your original question, what does Peru need?

1. A better political system
2. A non-corrupt judiciary
3. A professional civil service
4. Application of driving laws
5. Fewer combis (Lima only)
6. More free-trade agreements and lower import duties so we can more easily get that stuff that isn't here
7. A better postal service to deliver all that foreign stuff we buy
8. Conformity to international standards
9. Better biscuits
10. Proper Cadburys, not that stuff they badge as Cadburys but is made under licence
Wiracocha
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Wiracocha » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:58 pm

@ Gerard.
"Exactly like that, but you're the one who said
Clean water pumped into homes. And not just cold water."

You beauty...good to see Beep Beep get a taste of his own medicine!!!
Cheers,
W
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:14 pm

gerard wrote:1. That you haven't found a t-bone doesn't mean they don't exist.
2. OK
4. Yes. https://www.atv.pe/noticia/lima-presentan-primer-bus-electrico-que-operara-en-el-corredor-rojo
5. Let me look out of the window. Not dark and cold. Can't be the UK. Looks like Lima. Can't really see how my location affects the actuality of t-bones, refried beans, hot water and electric buses existing in Peru though.

#1 no duh, hence the question
#2Thank you
#3 Have no idea what you are looking for.
#4 Sorry this is an English speaking forum. You might want to review the forum guide lines. I do not speak Spanish.
#5 Well boots on the ground count. I notice you did not say you are in Peru.
#6The actuality of these things are things you actually brought up. I am actually here and can NOT find. You miraculously found them on line. Nice you found them BUT are they actually there. Being IN Peru the things I mentioned have not been found, they may very may be but I have not found, even looking on line, going to the store and finding NOTHING. Maybe you can post an actual pic of the item in your hand. OR are you calling me a liar?
As to your question "As to your original question, what does Peru need?" It was not my question. I was simply replying a question posed by woodstock, which, for some reason you chose to go on line and provide links that may or may not be active. Like I said I have NOT found those things that you found online, boots on the ground.
Maybe, when you are in Peru, you can prove me wrong and I will be most happy.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:23 pm

Wiracocha wrote:@ Gerard.

Cheers,
W

You like that do ya? lol What the heck you trying to say? You got a problem with clean drinkable water pumped into the home? You don't want that? My medicine is clean cold water down my throat, thank you. Mighty fine tastin' medicine. That's not for you?
What medicine am I supposed to be tasting, elaborate pleas please.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:34 pm

Wiracocha wrote:@ Gerard.

Cheers,
W

Hey dude, there's Fosters in Peru? Sounds like you found some. lol
Point me where to find a 32er.
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerard » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:36 pm

69roadrunner wrote:Any place where I can buy it off the hoof and take it home and burn it myself?

https://www.wong.pe/t-bone-wong-premium-x-kg-487176/p

https://carnicerialomazos.com/producto/t-bone-steak-lomazos

You're welcome.
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:43 pm

Thanks, Gerard.

The other option is to just buy the two different cuts, since that is the way the meat is generally sold here.

"The T-bone is cut from the short loin subprimal from the front portion of the larger loin primal. The short loin is home to the most tender and popular cuts of steak. The short loin is broken down further into two subprimals – the beef short loin (New York strip), and the tenderloin (filet mignon)"

El T-bone se extrae de la parte baja del lomo de la vaca, lo que permite que este corte tenga por un lado carne del lomo y por el otro carne de filete o solomillo, la cual, es una carne que se encuentra en la zona lumbar entre el costillar inferior y las columna

Cheers.

Alan
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:15 am

https://ossocarniceria.pe/inicio/carnes/t-bone-angus

I will say there is A LOT more stuff here in Peru than when I first moved here so availability of stuff has improved. One of the bigger issues I have is consistency; if you find something new and fantastic, you'd better stock up because there is a good chance you'll never see it again. For example, some years ago I actually found cranberry sauce at Wong's.....after that, I never saw it again. Mainland cheese from New Zealand used to be pretty common but about mid last year it suddenly disappeared from the shelves.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:49 am

Now that is what I call a bargain! $20.39 a lb! And as an added bonus....it's frozen not fresh.
You are correct, here today....gone forever. Been my experience also. That is why I do not trust websites in Peru. Gotta see it with my own eyes, been fooled too many times. Be more helpful if posters would post first hand knowledge, as I have, no I have not seen t bones in Peru. Instead of See! See! I saw it on the internet. Thxs
billybob72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby billybob72 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:52 pm

More flights from Asia, build the tourist sector up from East Asia - they're foodies and the kind of food that is Peruvian cuisine is really suitable to the Asian palate in general (fresh fish and seafood, pork, noodles and rice etc).

Build a new city - a tourism city like Acapulco - that's a good idea!

Put regeneration into parts of Lima like Chorrillos, La Victoria, Rimac - they're are some of the oldest settlements in the Americas.

Because Spain gives Peruvian citizens an easier pathway to Spanish citizenship - Peru should give Spanish citizens an easier pathway to Peruvian citizenship (Colombia, El Salvador, Honduras and Venezuela have this pathway for Spanish citizens...) Peru should do the same in my opinion.

Encourage immigration from China, Japan and Korea - actually - anywhere from Asia - especially for start ups! Also, academic immigration would be part of my plan - why is it that National University of San Marcos - the oldest university in the Americas - has such a low ranking - even in Latin America - bring in great academics from all over the world and start the education overhaul from the top! Also, make a plan with academic tourism with Spanish language classes for foreigners in every university in the country - the people would come.

In my opinion, Peru could do what the Spanish did during Franco's era and build up coastal tourism - develop Mancora, Tumbes, Mejia, Huancacho etc - people will come and sit on a beach in the winter and eat good food and drink nice beer/pisco sours if the resorts are there - then they can go to Macchu Picchu, the Amazon, Lima - it is freezing cold in the northern hemisphere where is lovely in the months between Nov-Feb in Peru. Thailand makes lots of money doing this because it has a great cuisine and coastline - Peru has a great cuisine, great alcohol, miles of beaches, unmatched biodiversity etc. Peru has more going for it than Thailand but does little with it! If the Cubans are able to do it under their present administration then Peru should be able to do it.

Some people might not like the above but it is what I would do. Some things I would suggest but are in place now - such as developing economic ties with the Asia-Pacific - which makes a whole of sense. Peru is embracing its identity as an Asian-Pacific country moreso than it has ever done.

Oh yeah - metered taxis and with a visible license!
samthesham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby samthesham » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:49 am

Metered taxis?
But haggling over a democratic price is the fun part of taking a taxi.
I guess the alternative would be to tell the driver what you're going to pay after the trip.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:29 am

Sounds like those taxi mandates will do nothing but drive up the price and get the gov't involved in another private business. Can you say taxes?
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:31 am

samthesham wrote:Metered taxis?
But haggling over a democratic price is the fun part of taking a taxi.
I guess the alternative would be to tell the driver what you're going to pay after the trip.

I had a friend who would actually do this. He told me he never had a problem. I suppose he was assertive and just at the same time. Frankly, I wouldn't recommend it.

What a taxi driver recommended to me once is that, instead of asking the driver a rate, the passenger propose one upfront. "Señor, 15 soles hasta la Plaza de Armas. ¿Vamos?"
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:34 am

billybob72 wrote: Also, academic immigration would be part of my plan - why is it that National University of San Marcos - the oldest university in the Americas - has such a low ranking - even in Latin America - bring in great academics from all over the world and start the education overhaul from the top! Also, make a plan with academic tourism with Spanish language classes for foreigners in every university in the country - the people would come.

I know of one university, Centrum (which offers MBA's for the Universidad Catolica) was doing this quite aggressively. Of course, they are private sector, so have more money to throw around as things stand now. San Marcos, being public, has pretty serious budget limitations.
noclevername
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby noclevername » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:52 am

gerard wrote:
69roadrunner wrote:Any place where I can buy it off the hoof and take it home and burn it myself?

https://www.wong.pe/t-bone-wong-premium-x-kg-487176/p

https://carnicerialomazos.com/producto/t-bone-steak-lomazos

You're welcome.

69roadrunner wrote:Now that is what I call a bargain! $20.39 a lb! And as an added bonus....it's frozen not fresh.
You are correct, here today....gone forever. Been my experience also. That is why I do not trust websites in Peru. Gotta see it with my own eyes, been fooled too many times. Be more helpful if posters would post first hand knowledge, as I have, no I have not seen t bones in Peru. Instead of See! See! I saw it on the internet. Thxs

Checked out that second link. Carniceria Lomazos has contact info; not that I ever expect any business to even answer their phone, but always a nice surprise when they do and can give information over the phone, such as whether they have those T-Bone steaks listed on their website.

Teléfonos
933 903 941

If there's no luck with the phone, or you wouldn't have complete trust in their answer (understandable), there's always seeing it with your own eyes. Their website also gives their physical address so you can do just that. Maybe since you're the poster that expressed the initial interest in T-Bones you could report back with a 'more helpful post' of that first-hand knowledge.

Dirección Oficina Central
Av Benavides 2870, Miraflores, Lima, Perú

You can click on the link to find out their hours of operation - bottom of the home page.
noclevername
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby noclevername » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:08 pm

gerard wrote:1. That you haven't found a t-bone doesn't mean they don't exist.
2. OK

6. More free-trade agreements and lower import duties so we can more easily get that stuff that isn't here
9. Better biscuits
10. Proper Cadburys, not that stuff they badge as Cadburys but is made under licence

This list is a good starting point. I'd be happy to see half of that list happen.

As far as combis, not that it would likely ever happen or that Peru is the only country with this problem, but a better system to keep traffic moving and in a way that reduces accidents.

I'd forbid combis from making stops to discharge or take on passengers at corners and make it so that they had to make their stops at mid-block locations to make it easier for the rest of traffic to make right hand turns and be able to do so from the right hand lane instead of having to cross over from other lanes because a combi is temporarily parked at the corner letting passengers off and on. Also make it so that left hand turns can only be made from the leftmost lane. Of course all of this would assume that there are actual lanes that are actually recognized instead of the current one-lane free for all.

Billy Bob had some good ideas as well re: bumping up desireable tourist locations, though I agree that it'd be controversial. Maybe keep it confined to designated areas so that every desireable part of the coast doesn't turn into Cancun. Increase awareness to Asia (and other regions) of Peru as a destination for foodies as well, and not just focus on the usual is a good idea as well.

Also like Alan's suggestion to suggest a rate to the taxi driver instead of asking how much. Once you've lived somewhere long enough you get a good idea of the going rate and suggesting the low end of the going rate cuts to the chase and lets the taxis know you're not a tourist who can be taken advantage of - not that there's many tourists right now.
billybob72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby billybob72 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:51 am

noclevername wrote:
Billy Bob had some good ideas as well re: bumping up desireable tourist locations, though I agree that it'd be controversial. Maybe keep it confined to designated areas so that every desireable part of the coast doesn't turn into Cancun. Increase awareness to Asia (and other regions) of Peru as a destination for foodies as well, and not just focus on the usual is a good idea as well.

I think if they did - it would be a better long term economic prospect that the export of copper to China! There was a poster on here called 'chi chi' who stated 'who would go to a Peruvian beach resort over one in Spain or Greece' and this is the point - resorts in Greece, Spain, Florida etc wouldn't be in competition with a new resort in northern Peru because it's cold in Spain and Greece in December! You're right, it would be contreversial and not everyone will want it but this will be a great way to take the economy in another direction and start putting money in the ordinary persons pocket.

Build a new international airport and get the airlines to fly non stop from major cities in North America as well as London, Madrid, Frankfurt, Paris, Amsterdam, Moscow as well as South American capitals - I bet they could sell this to the big rollers and get a load of investment if they sold the idea - give it a nifty new name such as 'Ciudad del Oro' or 'Ciudad del Verano' get the big hotel chains to build 5 star complexes by the beach - encourage domestic migration and encourage the opening of businesses selling traditional Peruvian fayre - saturate the place with PNP. Spain has done it, Thailand has done and Peru has more going for it that either of those places. It is amazing that with over a thousand miles of coastline - it is nowhere near doing it... 'the beggar sleeping on a park bench' indeed!
billybob72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby billybob72 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:28 am

alan wrote:
billybob72 wrote: Also, academic immigration would be part of my plan - why is it that National University of San Marcos - the oldest university in the Americas - has such a low ranking - even in Latin America - bring in great academics from all over the world and start the education overhaul from the top! Also, make a plan with academic tourism with Spanish language classes for foreigners in every university in the country - the people would come.

I know of one university, Centrum (which offers MBA's for the Universidad Catolica) was doing this quite aggressively. Of course, they are private sector, so have more money to throw around as things stand now. San Marcos, being public, has pretty serious budget limitations.

It needs government funding for sure, they could offer all kinds of incentives - no tax on their (good) salary - if they come to Peru and teach/do research in the universities.

Colombia are doing 'academic tourism' at the moment and you can take Spanish classes at any of their universities but they're expensive! Peru could do this and it would be a big attraction for a lot of people I think.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:50 am

gerard wrote:As to your original question, what does Peru need?

9. Better biscuits

I did not ask the question but got a couple for you

3. A professional civil service.
Huh? They aren't paid? Working for free? What exactly do you mean by "professional"?

5. Fewer combis
Huh? Are you kidding? Have you ever ridden one? They are all always jammed packed. We need more!!!

7. A better postal service to deliver all that foreign stuff we buy.
What? You do not get your stuff, I seem to have no problem, takes a while but it arrives. Generally almost exactly a month after it arrives at the post office for inspection.
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:33 pm

One of the problems with the civil service here is that some of them has such good job security that it is almost impossible to fire them when they underperform. To address this problem, the (I think Fujimori) govt' brought in a regime called CAS, which is a very flexible way to hire staff for short-term contracts. Problem is, that system is often abused by the employer. The result? Congress now wants to throw it out instead of reforming it, so we end up with a much more rigid, less productive, public service than before. Just one more way Congress is throwing away the country's future for short-term political gain.
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerard » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:41 pm

69roadrunner wrote:
3. A professional civil service.
Huh? They aren't paid? Working for free? What exactly do you mean by "professional"?

After every election jobs are handed out like candy to supporters of the winning candidate, irrespective of their capability to actually do the job. I'd rather have a system where the civil service is independent of the government of the day, where people have the chance to proceed through the ranks based on their ability. My father-in-law used to work for Minsa as a driver and he'd come home a few weeks after each election complaining about all the new "employees" who'd be allocated the best vehicles but would actually just sit around all day doing nothing.

69roadrunner wrote:5. Fewer combis
Huh? Are you kidding? Have you ever ridden one? They are all always jammed packed. We need more!!!

Yes. Or we could have fewer, larger buses.

69roadrunner wrote:7. A better postal service to deliver all that foreign stuff we buy.
What? You do not get your stuff, I seem to have no problem, takes a while but it arrives. Generally almost exactly a month after it arrives at the post office for inspection.

I get stuff, but there is always room for improvement. Wouldn't you rather get your stuff in is two weeks instead of a month? Personally I'd like to be able to post a letter by dropping it into a postbox, confident that it would be collected later in the day safe and secure, rather than having to go and queue at Serpost so that the lady there can have a good look at my correspondence before the envelope is sealed.

Do you enjoy riding combis and going to Serpost? Perhaps you could relate a few "boots on the ground" experiences that were so good they couldn't be improved?
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:19 pm

Packed as, combis are, no I do not like but driving a car is no better with the bumper to bumper traffic all day everywhere! Besides I would never own one of those little beep beep clown cars, gotta be a thumpin' V8

Hmm, For the first couple of years I had to go to serpost, but for the past 5 years it has comes to my door. I track it into Peru and I can set my calendar, 30 days later, here it is. I never have a need to send snail mail, so I can't comment.

Uhhhh, there is always room for improvement everywhere you look. You just have to remember, "We're are not in Kansas anymore, Toto". And what did Dorothy do about that?
Wiracocha
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Wiracocha » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:49 pm

@ Beep Beep.
"Hey dude, there's Fosters in Peru? Sounds like you found some. lol
Point me where to find a 32er."
ha ha ha. :-)

Oooh I just can't help myself....let me give you a good ol' Aussie Christmas wish, Beep Beep..."may your chooks turn into emus, and kick your dunny down".

Cheers,
W
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:06 pm

Well that is a fine how do ya do! Afraid to say it in English? This IS an English speaking forum, don't ya know.
Flamin'' galah that you are, matey.
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerard » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:25 pm

69roadrunner wrote:#5 Well boots on the ground count. I notice you did not say you are in Peru.
#6The actuality of these things are things you actually brought up. I am actually here and can NOT find. You miraculously found them on line. Nice you found them BUT are they actually there. Being IN Peru the things I mentioned have not been found, they may very may be but I have not found, even looking on line, going to the store and finding NOTHING. Maybe you can post an actual pic of the item in your hand. OR are you calling me a liar?

So I was in Plaza Vea today....
Attachments
olp.png
olp.png (333.38 KiB) Viewed 717 times

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register