COVID long term effects

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
noclevername
Gold Member
Gold Member

COVID long term effects

Postby noclevername » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:56 pm

Heard a story on NPR this morning about a study that concluded that COVID has reduced life expectancy in the US by 1.13 years, the lowest it's been since 2003.

Pandemic Shortens U.S. Life Expectancy, Study Concludes

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... -concludes

The reduction in life expectancy is estimated to be even greater among racial and ethnic minorities. Life expectancy is estimated to fall by 2.10 years among Blacks and 3.05 years among Latinos. The decline would be 0.68 years among whites.

Since the study only focused on (first world) US, it's impossible to say for sure the conclusions would apply to Peru in a similar magnitude, but it's not a stretch to think that the negative effects could be equal, if not worse, in third world countries with less capable health care systems.

"The generally good health of Latinos prior to the pandemic, which should have protected them from COVID-19, has laid bare the risks associated with social and economic disadvantage," said Goldman, who helped conduct the study.

Plenty of stories out there about people who no longer have COVID, but are still dealing with the health issues. Even when the virus is erradicated, the world's population will be dealing with this for a long time. Looks like a lot of people are going to have long term health issues that may stick with them for the rest of their lives.

IntiPeque

Re: COVID long term effects

Postby IntiPeque » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:19 pm

I heard an interesting programme on BBC Radio 4. The presenter got COVID several months ago & had to take a few months off. He is in his 30s and was in excellent health before getting the virus. He still suffers mainly from fatigue but has a few other side effects as well. It is being referred to as Long COVID.

I would imagine people with underlying conditions and/or older people having a much harder time of it in the long run.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:05 am

Part of the scenario, never let a good crisis go to waste. This stink is not going away, vaccine or no vaccine.
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:43 pm

IntiPeque wrote:I heard an interesting programme on BBC Radio 4. The presenter got COVID several months ago & had to take a few months off. He is in his 30s and was in excellent health before getting the virus. He still suffers mainly from fatigue but has a few other side effects as well. It is being referred to as Long COVID.

I would imagine people with underlying conditions and/or older people having a much harder time of it in the long run.

Two other side-effects that we have seen in Lima are not related directly to the virus, but rather to the treatment: bed sores and damage to the larynx due to long-spells on the respirator.

It's worth keeping all this in mind, since it's easy to let your guard down as the sun shines and we notice a more relaxed attitude overall among people.
IntiPeque

Postby IntiPeque » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:54 pm

alan wrote:Two other side-effects that we have seen in Lima are not related directly to the virus, but rather to the treatment: bed sores and damage to the larynx due to long-spells on the respirator.

It's worth keeping all this in mind, since it's easy to let your guard down as the sun shines and we notice a more relaxed attitude overall among people.

Ouch, yeah - makes total sense though. Obviously I hope to never have to experience that. I would opt not to be put on a respirator. In one of my earlier careers, I worked in a pathology lab. For some reason, we got several brains of people who had been on a respirator for an extended period of time. Their brains, when cut into slices, resembled swiss cheese - several areas of the brain had small to medium size holes and the texture of the brain was softer. After seeing that. I vowed to never be put on a respirator.
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:25 am

IntiPeque wrote:Ouch, yeah - makes total sense though. Obviously I hope to never have to experience that. I would opt not to be put on a respirator. In one of my earlier careers, I worked in a pathology lab. For some reason, we got several brains of people who had been on a respirator for an extended period of time. Their brains, when cut into slices, resembled swiss cheese - several areas of the brain had small to medium size holes and the texture of the brain was softer. After seeing that. I vowed to never be put on a respirator.

That's interesting (and sad). Do you remember why that was?
IntiPeque

Postby IntiPeque » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:48 am

This was way back in the mid 70's and IIRC, it was the first time the pathologists at that particular hospital had the opportunity to examine the pathological effects of being on a respirator. All they could do at the time was report the physical changes to the brain that they saw. Even a mere tech like myself could see the difference.

Given the large number of people ending up on respirators, I'm surprised more hasn't been said by the medical community on the effects on the brain of being on a respirator - perhaps they don't want to scare people. Personally, I'd want to know all the facts so that I could make that decision for myself.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:54 pm

IntiPeque wrote: perhaps they don't want to scare people.

Like they haven't, already.
noclevername
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby noclevername » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:08 pm

More short term than long term, but yet another effect.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... story.html
noclevername
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby noclevername » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:49 pm

69roadrunner wrote:
IntiPeque wrote: perhaps they don't want to scare people.

Like they haven't, already.

Ever find any evidence from a reliable source you can link to that backs up your prior claim that people are "literally being scared to death," or is it just that when you said "literally" you didn't literally mean literally in the literal sense of the word? That would be "literally" in a figurative sense, which is just, literally, hyperbole.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register