Salt and coconut oil

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
anuta

Salt and coconut oil

Postby anuta » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:12 pm

Do they sell sea salt or other natural non-treated salt (for example pink salt, apparently it's found in Peru and Bolivia) somewhere in Lima ?

How about virgin coconut oil ?

Mommyof2Angels
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Mommyof2Angels » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:42 pm

there is this really neat shop right around the corner from me that sells every kind of natural product you can think of! luis and i have been experimenting with fresh bark, herbs, and leaves to make as teas or cold drinks. our kids are drinking some really healthy things these days! they also sell trigo fruit loops that are actually GOOD and have no sugars, etc...the only thing that is in them is the dye...i guess that is more appealing to the childs eye! and such a multitude of natural items. very very reasonably priced as well. you can even order breakfast ( trigo toast, a tea, an egg, oats) for S/1.50 and lunch for S/3.50. i am headed there tomorrow, and would be more than happy to check for you!
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:47 pm

HOw much is the coconut oil?
Mommyof2Angels
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Mommyof2Angels » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:45 pm

ok, so i went and purchased some things today. i checked on the pink salt, at about 4 naturistic stores..and noon knew what i was talking about. the sea salt is available. its called sal marina, and itr is 2.50 for a small bag.

the coconut oil is available, but in a small bottle..a little larger than a eye drop bottle. it is used for hair, mainly. they were very suprised when i asked if they had any for cooking. is that what you wr looking for it for? noone had any coconut oil to use for cooking..only in a serum type thing for hair or skin. that was also 2.50.
anuta

Postby anuta » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:15 pm

Mommyof2Angels wrote:ok, so i went and purchased some things today. i checked on the pink salt, at about 4 naturistic stores..and noon knew what i was talking about. the sea salt is available. its called sal marina, and itr is 2.50 for a small bag.

the coconut oil is available, but in a small bottle..a little larger than a eye drop bottle. it is used for hair, mainly. they were very suprised when i asked if they had any for cooking. is that what you wr looking for it for? noone had any coconut oil to use for cooking..only in a serum type thing for hair or skin. that was also 2.50.

Thanks for checking, Kim.
hum, I should bring some with me then. It's funny that I can find andean pink salt in Canada. May be they sell it in Wong or Vivanda ?

I was looking for the coconut oil for cooking, apparently it's the best for cooking at high temperature as it doesn't go rancid like the other ones.
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:29 am

Mommyof2Angels wrote:the coconut oil is available, but in a small bottle..a little larger than a eye drop bottle. it is used for hair, mainly. they were very suprised when i asked if they had any for cooking. is that what you wr looking for it for? noone had any coconut oil to use for cooking..only in a serum type thing for hair or skin. that was also 2.50.

Coconut oil is used for hair, body, etc. Expensive coconut oil is called monoi oil. They also have another one, called tamanu.

I use it for hair, my mom actually warms it up and drink a quarter cup to clean her system. :shock: In the US, you can get a huge tube of about 16oz for 8 dollars. Buy it there. Sounds kind of expensive where you went.
LauraMH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby LauraMH » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:36 pm

Anuta wrote:
Mommyof2Angels wrote:ok, so i went and purchased some things today. i checked on the pink salt, at about 4 naturistic stores..and noon knew what i was talking about. the sea salt is available. its called sal marina, and itr is 2.50 for a small bag.

Thanks for checking, Kim.
hum, I should bring some with me then. It's funny that I can find andean pink salt in Canada. May be they sell it in Wong or Vivanda ?

I was looking for the coconut oil for cooking, apparently it's the best for cooking at high temperature as it doesn't go rancid like the other ones.

Thanks so I guess that means that coconut oil for cooking isn't anywhere to be found? Bummer. it is definitely superior for cooking. a staple for me in the usa. if anyone every finds it, give a shout. thanks.
Live, Love, Laugh

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register