Cafe Americano, Cafe Pasado or Cafe Filtrado?

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Cafe Americano, Cafe Pasado or Cafe Filtrado?

Postby cajun jamie » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:46 pm

I want "Dripped Coffee"...

After 10 years of visiting and living in Peru, today, I discover I have always been asking for the wrong coffee. Years ago I was told, simple, brewed, black coffee was called "Cafe Americano". So, for years I have been asking for that in restaurants. Starbucks is always coffee of the day.

Anyway, recently I heard someone order, "Cafe Pasado". I asked and was told, that was brewed, dripped coffee.

PLOP! I hit the floor!

Cafe Americano - water added to espresso.

Cafe Pasado - brewed, drip coffee.
Last edited by cajun jamie on Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Friends don't let friends fly LAN. Support StarPeru!

I am a proud supporter of Pukana Surf School. Miraflores, Playa Makaha - Yellow tent. http://www.pukanasurferschool.com/
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:07 pm

The problem with that is Cafe Pasado tatstes awful! The only reason coffee drippers are popular is due to their ease of use. The coffee they produce pales in comparison to a good espresso maker, french press, or moku pot. Hell, dumping fresh ground coffee into a cup with hot water, letting it sit for 5 minutes then drinking that is better tasting than drip coffee!

Cafe Americano is simply espresso with some hot water to dilute it. Legend states that it's called Americano because Italians would make it for Americans not use to the strong taste of espresso.

So while you've not been drinking what you thought you were you have been drinking a better tasting coffee!

Since espresso machines are so expensive here I usually use a French Press or Moku pot in my home. But I always order Americano at cafes. Starbucks makes the worst coffee I've ever had in Peru not to mention more expensive and nowhere to sit due to the laptop table squatters.
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:26 pm

Arroz con Pollo wrote:The problem with that is Cafe Pasado tatstes awful! The only reason coffee drippers are popular is due to their ease of use. The coffee they produce pales in comparison to a good espresso maker, french press, or moku pot. Hell, dumping fresh ground coffee into a cup with hot water, letting it sit for 5 minutes then drinking that is better tasting than drip coffee!

No! In fact, the opposite. I have a french press, an espresso maker and a cheap old drip pot. My favorite by FAR is buying the cheapest bag of Alto Mayo (the blue bag). It costs about S./ 4

My true favorite is not sold here, Community Coffee, 100% arabica, some with a hint of chickory.

I put that in the drip pot and is by far better than any espresso, or Americano or Starbucks or Orgaanika.

The Cafe Americano is often a bit strong, but mainly too bitter.

I am a proud supporter of Pukana Surf School. Miraflores, Playa Makaha - Yellow tent. http://www.pukanasurferschool.com/
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:39 pm

I have to say I like that AltoMayo coffee too, that's what we use in our drip pot.

I've never liked instant coffee at ALL, but AltoMayo is actually not bad.
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:56 pm

And maybe Starbucks aside, "cafe pasado" usually refers to a cup of coffee that is made with the thick coffee essence with hot water added later. While this can taste pretty good, it is very different flavor than the drip coffee that you prepare in a pot. I have to say that I prefer a good cafe americano over either. The juice that sets you loose!
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:17 pm

OK, I am still unclear. See below. It says Cafe Americano is basically made with an espresso with added water, and Cafe Pasado is similar, but what I REALLY want to ask for is "Cafe Filtrado"? Drip Coffee.

Cafe Americano
The drink consists of a single or double-shot of espresso combined with between 1 and 16 fluid ounces (30 - 470ml) of hot water[1]. An Americano is created specifically by adding the water to an already extracted espresso (which destroys the crema) not by drawing more water through the espresso grounds (the latter is a lungo). An Americano can also be produced from lighter roasted coffees and roasts not generally associated with espresso, such as beans of Ethiopian or Sumatran origins.

Café pasado o café filtrado, que no es lo mismo, en Perú. Pero no es lo mismo. El café pasado es el más común y es el que se pasa directamente por la cafetera o incluso por un colador. Había un comercial de que café que decía: 'el verdadero cafe se pasa'. Con las máquinas de café, el café filtrado ha ganado popularidad, pero el café pasado sigue siendo muy popular en todo el Perú; además sabe muchísimo mejor

cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:22 pm

I think what has been the difficulty is studies show 97% of Peruvians drink instant coffee. "Drip Coffee" is not as common, so it has been hard for Peruvians to describe it to me accurately.

It seems, what I want to ask for, if I just want a pot of coffee made with a filter, from a simple machine, is "Cafe Filtrado"

mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:55 pm

Go figure! My husband likes instant coffee! and if it is Peruvian coffee, even better! We have the drip-coffee machine, an espresso and cappucino machine (which I use), I receive regularly Italian coffee for our moka at the office (the Italian percolator)....nothing makes him change his mind. :evil: :roll:
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:42 pm

Well, Mammalu, the beans have spoken. Larry is officially Peruvian and you all need to move here ASAP.

You just can't argue with the Coffee Gods.

Sorry Larry. :cry:

alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:47 pm

cajun jamie wrote:OK, I am still unclear. See below. It says Cafe Americano is basically made with an espresso with added water, and Cafe Pasado is similar, but what I REALLY want to ask for is "Cafe Filtrado"? Drip Coffee.

Cafe Americano
The drink consists of a single or double-shot of espresso combined with between 1 and 16 fluid ounces (30 - 470ml) of hot water[1]. An Americano is created specifically by adding the water to an already extracted espresso (which destroys the crema) not by drawing more water through the espresso grounds (the latter is a lungo). An Americano can also be produced from lighter roasted coffees and roasts not generally associated with espresso, such as beans of Ethiopian or Sumatran origins.

Maybe the terminology changes with the restaurant, but my experience has always been that Cafe Pasado is served with a small jar of essense, and a side pot of water (or they do the mixing for you), and cafe americano comes straight out of the machine. Maybe it is the essence mixed with water too... but it is mixed together immediately.. and the essence is made with an expresso machine, not just by dripping hot water through coffee grounds.

Perk-a-later,
Alan
minos
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Cafe Americano, Cafe Pasado or Cafe Filtrado?

Postby minos » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:26 pm

the last coffee is served in most provinces of Peru, including restaurants and you get your bottle of essence of coffee that has happened, which is not the same as the filtered coffee. In Lima and has lost the habit, and because the coffee bean is more expensive in the capital and you have to know how to do it and toast it, which takes time.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register