Brewery Pub

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Brewery Pub

Postby american_in_lima » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:54 pm

Coming from the US, there are lots of local brewery pubs. I only found one in Trujillo (Hops) that makes the actual beer that they serve.

Has anyone seen one in Lima? I am dying for some local brewed beer that is not from a bottle, can or processed in some huge plant.

Any ideas?

George

Regards,

George
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:56 pm

http://www.expatperu.com/expatforums/vi ... php?t=2808

Here is a link to this topic from earlier this year, though i would love to know if there are any updates.
antonio
Gold Member
Gold Member

The national flavor is quite flat

Postby antonio » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:47 pm

Some years ago I tried to open a homemade brewery in Lima. I got some equipment and imported malt, hops and yeast. Also bought some equipment as stainless steel pots, gas stoves, filters, pumps, etc.

I took it all as an adventure, more than a business. I am not a guy who like to drink so much beer, but anyway I tried. After a while I notice that the national flavor for beer was very "flat". Most of peruvians like the traditional flavor of beer as Cusqueña or Cristal. It's hard to have a brewery in Lima as a business. Also the cost of importing small amount of ingredients is very expensive too. I left the idea into the drawer.

There was one that as far as i know dissapeared. The name was Palos de Moguer, and was located at a very good place in a rich area in Lima. The only I still remember exist is "de thomas" brewery, located in Rosa Toro avenue, San Borja
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: The national flavor is quite flat

Postby american_in_lima » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:40 pm

Antonio wrote:Some years ago I tried to open a homemade brewery in Lima. I got some equipment and imported malt, hops and yeast. Also bought some equipment as stainless steel pots, gas stoves, filters, pumps, etc.

I took it all as an adventure, more than a business. I am not a guy who like to drink so much beer, but anyway I tried. After a while I notice that the national flavor for beer was very "flat". Most of peruvians like the traditional flavor of beer as Cusqueña or Cristal. It's hard to have a brewery in Lima as a business. Also the cost of importing small amount of ingredients is very expensive too. I left the idea into the drawer.

There was one that as far as i know dissapeared. The name was Palos de Moguer, and was located at a very good place in a rich area in Lima. The only I still remember exist is "de thomas" brewery, located in Rosa Toro avenue, San Borja

Antonio: Wow - Thank you! I am definitely going to try it out.

I found the address online as well:

Restaurante y Casa Cervecera "De Tomas"
Av. Agustín La Rosa Toro Nº1151
San Borja
Lima 41 - Perú

I will report back to how it went.

George
Regards,

George
antonio
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: The national flavor is quite flat

Postby antonio » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:38 am

american_in_lima wrote:
I will report back to how it went.

George

George, I will be waiting for your feedback, I hope the quality is good enough for your palate.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:30 am

does anybody knows a good brewery pub in La Selva
antonio
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby antonio » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:25 pm

euroman wrote:does anybody knows a good brewery pub in La Selva

Besides the most known beers as Cristal and Pilsen, exist some regional bottled beers as arequipeña -> Arequipa , San Juan -> Pucallpa, etc

The market of bottled beer have the whole market of beer in Peru. There is no more room for artisanal beer, I think.
Tracyrteach
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Brewery Pub

Postby Tracyrteach » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:20 am

Hi there, I'm currently brewing and selling bottle artesanal style beers in Miraflores. The current batch is similar to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and I'm selling them for 15 soles a bottle. [email protected].
I became tired of paying 20-25 soles for Chimay and Duvel, so I've become a brewer. There is a growing demand for good craft beer. I'd like to expand in the next six months for anyone interested.
The place mentioned above "De Tomas" is housed in a cevicheria/cervezeria called "Mi Cebi-Chela". There is a variety of beers, all from kegs. Pretty good, all and all. The owner also does mini-courses on homebrewing about once every six weeks.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register