Gringa Lori Libre

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
north

Gringa Lori Libre

Postby north » Wed May 26, 2010 8:11 am

What you make of it? I think she should have stayed in jail. It's a bunch of crap her denials. You can see a big radical hippy like her a mile away..... who the hell else comes to Peru all the way from the States at age 25 and tries to interfere with the people and government? She even says she's an 'activist' on her site, that says it all! GUILTY. Peru wasn't her first target destination either. What a nerve. How did she find a sympathetic judge? Well she had 15 years for all her groupies to bride them, but the judge should have known better. Should have stayed in jail. Now she gets out but has to stay in the country for 5 years still? I say either keep her in jail or kick her straight out of the country. Ugh, I'm sick of her. Next theres going to be a stupid Hollywood movie after her. That'll make her into a legend now. Free Fujimori, not Lori!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Gringa Lori Libre

Postby Alan » Wed May 26, 2010 9:38 am

north wrote:What you make of it? I think she should have stayed in jail. It's a bunch of crap her denials. You can see a big radical hippy like her a mile away..... who the hell else comes to Peru all the way from the States at age 25 and tries to interfere with the people and government? She even says she's an 'activist' on her site, that says it all! GUILTY. Peru wasn't her first target destination either. What a nerve. How did she find a sympathetic judge? Well she had 15 years for all her groupies to bride them, but the judge should have known better. Should have stayed in jail. Now she gets out but has to stay in the country for 5 years still? I say either keep her in jail or kick her straight out of the country. Ugh, I'm sick of her. Next theres going to be a stupid Hollywood movie after her. That'll make her into a legend now. Free Fujimori, not Lori!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For those who want to read about it: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/26/world ... 6peru.html It is a complex story that merits much more than labeling.

There are few people that deny Berenson's involvement, but one argument that does have some weight is that she was a fairly minor member of the cell, yet she received a sentence as if she were one of the leaders. This, rumor had it, was in order to send out a message to foreigners not to get involved in Peruvian politics -- and certainly not with Sendero or the MRTA.

Anyway, sounds like she will be free soon, according to the rule of law, and she will stay in Peru on parole, which is normal and again, according to the law, like it or not. I suspect that at the end of Garcia´s term, they might find a way to send her back to the US. I remember how Toledo did this with the son or daughter (I forget which) of an influential Israeli that had got arrested on a drug charge, so there are precedents.

Who knows.. we might even see a pardon for Fujimori at the same time, though he might not want to give up his new apartment now that all his friends are used to visiting him at his new digs.
-----
"Hay que distanciarnos hoy para luego abrazarnos más fuerte".
-Guiseppe Conte, primer ministro italiano.
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Wed May 26, 2010 10:56 am

She is an unrepentant terrorist, who refuses to admit what she did was wrong. In her words, she was a revolutionary, not a terrorist. Minor involvement? She was firmly entrenched in the movement and would have continued to aid the MRTA in killing more innocent people. The only thing that stopped her... She got caught.

Her actions contributed to the deaths of many, where is the justice for their families?

She was arrested on a public bus in downtown Lima in 1995. She gained notoriety when, at a hearing a few weeks later, she shouted, “There are no criminal terrorists in the M.R.T.A.; it is a revolutionary movement!”
Visit my blog: http://www.saboraselva.com
Life in the Peruvian Amazon...
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Wed May 26, 2010 11:06 am

She has served a decent amount of time, there is enough evidence to suggest she did not get the fairest of trails. She has not been pardoned, just released from jail is and still detained in the country until her sentence is up. I find that satisfactory for her release.

I do think she was guilty...her mother´s book actually convinced me of that...but alas, none of us here are anymore than armchair jurists and we do not have all the information or inside story.
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Wed May 26, 2010 12:19 pm

This is very complex case. For everybody's sake, it would have been better if she had been deported, instead of being granted parole, but that is the Law.
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Wed May 26, 2010 3:16 pm

I have no doubt that Lori was involved in a movement that she probably had no business (as a foreigner) being involved in, but it boils down to her ideology and that is ultimately what she was convicted for.

I too agree that she should be (immediately) deported and permanently labeled as persona non grata, but a 20 year conviction isn't going to change her ideology (no matter how extreme it is); she's probably more convinced than ever that her views and actions were justified.

It must be a bitter-sweet irony for Lori that she is being freed while Fujimori is locked away.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Wed May 26, 2010 3:20 pm

Alan Said:

Who knows.. we might even see a pardon for Fujimori at the same time, though he might not want to give up his new apartment now that all his friends are used to visiting him at his new digs.

As I understand it, Fujimori´s crime, under the Constitution, is not pardonable. I am not saying someone would not try to have the Constitution changed, but I beleive a simple pardon is not possible.
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Thu May 27, 2010 10:25 am

north

Postby north » Thu May 27, 2010 11:13 pm

Deport the stupid gringa, then ban her from entering any 3rd world latin american countries ever again!
mmendoza136

Postby mmendoza136 » Fri May 28, 2010 10:37 am

She deserved the sentence she received. Guilty by association, had she been in the US and had been aiding a terrorist group you better believe she would have gotten a much harsher sentence.

Besides she knew what she was getting herself into, she knew that the risks were high and that the Peruvian government was literally at war with both MRTA and Sandero.

If anything she should be lucky she didn't wind up dead like many others who collaborated with the terrorist groups.
Visit my website about life in Peru: http://intiaperture.blogspot.com
craig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby craig » Sat May 29, 2010 12:24 am

north wrote:Deport the stupid gringa, then ban her from entering any 3rd world latin american countries ever again!

She almost certainly would be welcomed as a heroine by the Bolivian government.

Craig
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Sat May 29, 2010 1:21 pm

I have noticed that the anglo news reports with a few exceptions title her as an "activist" and not a "Terrorist" as in the Latin American newspapers.

I'm not a huge fan of the NY Post, but I think they got this one right with their write up:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/editorials/mercy_for_terrorist_oZEBoRbTZrTMW85s90yjCJ
Regards,

George
Wine Lover
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Wine Lover » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:56 pm

Innocent until given a fair trial and she wasn't.
I love seeing everyone up on their High Horse on this issue.
No one knows the truth or the facts.

This is an interesting read.
http://www.freelori.org/gov/peruvian/faq_with_rebuttals.html

The Peruvian rebuttals are laughable. Comparing everything to how things are done in USA as an excuse for an inept justice system.

The same people who want her dead have Che Guevara t-shirts and stickers on their cars.
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:40 pm

Wine Lover wrote:Innocent until given a fair trial and she wasn't.

The Peruvian rebuttals are laughable. Comparing everything to how things are done in USA as an excuse for an inept justice system.

The same people who want her dead have Che Guevara t-shirts and stickers on their cars.

The website is propaganda by a family in denial. She is a convicted terrorist, not a political prisoner. She had two trials: military and later a civilian trail. Found guilty both times. Before Peru she worked in El Salvador with Communist and terrorist organizations. Hardly a victim.

She did not help her case or win any sympathy from Peruvians by proclaiming that were no criminal terrorists in the MRTA. I have asked a lot of Peruvians what they think about her and have yet to find 1 that feels that she is innocent or wrongly convicted.
Wine Lover
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Wine Lover » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:05 pm

scott wrote:
Wine Lover wrote:Innocent until given a fair trial and she wasn't.

The website is propaganda by a family in denial. She is a convicted terrorist, not a political prisoner. She had two trials: military and later a civilian trail. Found guilty both times. Before Peru she worked in El Salvador with Communist and terrorist organizations. Hardly a victim.

She did not help her case or win any sympathy from Peruvians by proclaiming that were no criminal terrorists in the MRTA. I have asked a lot of Peruvians what they think about her and have yet to find 1 that feels that she is innocent or wrongly convicted.

It says the FAQ's are from the US embassy and Peruvian embassy in response to people who frequently contact them on the issue.
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:24 pm

In the letter that she sent to Alan Garcia, she took responsibility for it. That to me, along with the other evidence, is proof that she was guilty.
Regards,

George
Wine Lover
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Wine Lover » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:16 pm

Scott I love the Che Guevera t-shirt in your avatar.
Did you recently upload it just for me?

Che Guevara now here's a true terrorist.
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:03 pm

Not Che you dolt, it is Einstein.
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:39 pm

Scott, I have noticed there is a lot of LOVE for you here. JK :lol:
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:44 pm

:mrgreen: I have my share of fans! :mrgreen:
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:31 am

I hope it´s sincere:

Peru: American Activist Apologizes for ‘Collaborating With Terrorism’

Lori Berenson, left, the New York activist who served 14 years in prison for aiding leftist rebels, apologized to Peru for her “crime of collaboration with terrorism” in a handwritten letter to Peru’s pardons commission. Ms. Berenson, 40, who has insisted that she is not guilty, acknowledged “committing errors” in papers submitted by her defense team in support of her parole, which was granted on May 27. In the letter, Ms. Berenson wrote, “I assume my penal responsibility for the crime of terrorist collaboration.” She also said, “I regret greatly the harm that I may have caused Peruvian society and I ask forgiveness of those who may have been affected by my words and actions.” Under terms of her parole, she must remain in Peru until her sentence ends in 2015

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/18/world ... -Peru.html
-----
"Hay que distanciarnos hoy para luego abrazarnos más fuerte".
-Guiseppe Conte, primer ministro italiano.

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register