Peruvian post office / UPS / DHL

If you have read an article on Expat Peru and have something to add that would help others, this is the place! We appreciate your help.
User avatar
ExpatPeruMods
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:04 pm

Peruvian post office / UPS / DHL

Postby ExpatPeruMods » Thu May 30, 2019 5:52 pm

What has been your experience mailing, or recieving packages in Peru? should we add anything to our article "Mail and courier services in Peru"?


jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Peruvian post office / UPS / DHL

Postby jumpinjack » Fri May 31, 2019 10:38 am

ExpatPeruMods wrote:What has been your experience mailing, or recieving packages in Peru? should we add anything to our article "Mail and courier services in Peru"?

Is it possible to have Amazon.com to ship to Peru?
User avatar
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2979
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Peruvian post office / UPS / DHL

Postby Alan » Fri May 31, 2019 1:13 pm

jumpinjack wrote:
ExpatPeruMods wrote:What has been your experience mailing, or recieving packages in Peru? should we add anything to our article "Mail and courier services in Peru"?

Is it possible to have Amazon.com to ship to Peru?


Yes. It is my understanding that they use DHL and the service is very good. A friend told me he receives packages within 3 or 4 days of ordering.
-----
"Hay que distanciarnos hoy para luego abrazarnos más fuerte".
-Guiseppe Conte, primer ministro italiano.
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:38 pm

Re: Peruvian post office / UPS / DHL

Postby Formidable 1 » Fri May 31, 2019 4:33 pm

That's good to know.
I was really hoping that drone delivery service would take flight (pardon the pun).
User avatar
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2979
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Peruvian post office / UPS / DHL

Postby Alan » Fri May 31, 2019 5:46 pm

ExpatPeruMods wrote:What has been your experience mailing, or recieving packages in Peru? should we add anything to our article "Mail and courier services in Peru"?
-----
"Hay que distanciarnos hoy para luego abrazarnos más fuerte".
-Guiseppe Conte, primer ministro italiano.
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Peruvian post office / UPS / DHL

Postby jumpinjack » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:21 am

Alan wrote:
jumpinjack wrote:
ExpatPeruMods wrote:What has been your experience mailing, or recieving packages in Peru? should we add anything to our article "Mail and courier services in Peru"?

Is it possible to have Amazon.com to ship to Peru?


Yes. It is my understanding that they use DHL and the service is very good. A friend told me he receives packages within 3 or 4 days of ordering.

That's nice Alan. Does anyone have first hand knowledge?
BTW, a search this forum will show DHL does not have a very good reputation.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17135
User avatar
onetakenatep
Member
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Peruvian post office / UPS / DHL

Postby onetakenatep » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:50 am

I bought some fragile camera gear from Amazon and had it shipped to Lima in late 2018. I used DHL and it worked out great. Package passed through customs quickly and arrived to me in just 3 days without anything breaking. I don't have Amazon Prime nor did I pay for expedited shipping, it was just regular shipping.
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Peruvian post office / UPS / DHL

Postby jumpinjack » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:19 am

onetakenatep wrote:I bought some fragile camera gear from Amazon and had it shipped to Lima in late 2018. I used DHL and it worked out great. Package passed through customs quickly and arrived to me in just 3 days without anything breaking. I don't have Amazon Prime nor did I pay for expedited shipping, it was just regular shipping.

I find that very odd, DHL aside. Everything I order from the US, usually ebay, I can track the package into Peru and then nothing. About a month later it shows up at my door, almost like clock work. The previous month was spent in customs. So 3 days.....WOW. Sign me up!!
What is your trick? Can you name the seller of your camera, could be real helpful to those of us wanting to buy from Amazon. As you know they have fantastic stuff and very democratic prices.
User avatar
onetakenatep
Member
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Peruvian post office / UPS / DHL

Postby onetakenatep » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:10 am

Yes, it was definitely unexpected to say the least. I have no tricks really, though I do think there are a number of factors that lead to this. Such as the seller themselves, the product, whether they use "Fulfilled by Amazon.com" or not (some don't), and where the Amazon warehouse is located where the products are being shipped from.

This was the seller that I purchased from in that particular instance:

https://www.amazon.com/sp?_encoding=UTF ... asStoreID=
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Peruvian post office / UPS / DHL

Postby jumpinjack » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:02 pm

onetakenatep wrote:Yes, it was definitely unexpected to say the least. I have no tricks really, though I do think there are a number of factors that lead to this. Such as the seller themselves, the product, whether they use "Fulfilled by Amazon.com" or not (some don't), and where the Amazon warehouse is located where the products are being shipped from.

This was the seller that I purchased from in that particular instance:

https://www.amazon.com/sp?_encoding=UTF ... asStoreID=

Thanks. Looks like there are a few sellers on Amazon that will ship to Peru, as in your case, from Japan, Amazon itself does not ship to Peru.
I would imagine most are 3rd party in Asia that ship to Peru.
Too bad, there is a lot of good stuff from Amazon that we miss out on. Like clothing and shoes that fit.

Found this, not good news if you want to shop the entire Amazon site,
https://flycrates.com/amazon-shipping-to-peru
User avatar
onetakenatep
Member
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Peruvian post office / UPS / DHL

Postby onetakenatep » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:25 pm

I looked back at the order, my package was shipped from an Amazon fulfillment center in Jeffersonville, IN, USA within hours after I ordered. DHL was the 3rd party courier. Arrived in Lima in 3 business days safely, no extra special shipping purchased. Total order value was less than 250 USD and there were no issues or holding at Peruvian customs. Delivered via DHL on the ground here in Lima after it passed through customs.

Take that for what you will. It could have been dumb luck or it could be that e-commerce systems/logistics infrastructure are improving between North and South America. If more people chime in we'll know.

Honestly I think it just shows how far Amazon's reach is at this point, they really are going to take over the world. :lol:
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Peruvian post office / UPS / DHL

Postby jumpinjack » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:26 am

onetakenatep wrote:I looked back at the order, my package was shipped from an Amazon fulfillment center in Jeffersonville, IN, USA within hours after I ordered. DHL was the 3rd party courier. Arrived in Lima in 3 business days safely, no extra special shipping purchased. Total order value was less than 250 USD and there were no issues or holding at Peruvian customs. Delivered via DHL on the ground here in Lima after it passed through customs.

Take that for what you will. It could have been dumb luck or it could be that e-commerce systems/logistics infrastructure are improving between North and South America. If more people chime in we'll know.

Honestly I think it just shows how far Amazon's reach is at this point, they really are going to take over the world. :lol:

Gotcha

Return to “Our Articles : Your Suggestions / Updates (WIKI)”

Login  •  Register