Renewing peruvian passport in Lima: availability of appointments on short notice

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
ardilla
Silver Member
Silver Member

Renewing peruvian passport in Lima: availability of appointments on short notice

Postby ardilla » Mon May 22, 2017 1:11 pm

Dear ExpatPeru gurus:

This message is directed at who have used passport renewal service to renew your (or your family member's) Peruvian passports. Apologies in advance if I posted to the wrong place on the forums.

We just discovered that one of our family member's Peruvian passports is now expired. We all entered on our non-Peruvian passports and have been here several months; we come in and out of Peru biannually. Reading the forums, we now know that the next time we enter Peru we all need to use the Peruvian passport to enter and exit given the new immigration law. We need to get an appointment at the passport agency ASAP as we are only in Lima for another few days.

Is there a way to do this without first paying the fee at Banco de la Nacion? I would hate to pay and then discover all appointments for the days we are in Lima are gone.

Also, does anyone know the answer to this question: is there another way to get a passport renewed quickly other than the renewal appointment system?

If you have suggestions please post or PM me.
Gracias!

alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Renewing peruvian passport in Lima: availability of appointments on short notice

Postby alan » Wed May 24, 2017 8:16 pm

Hi,

There is a Banco de La Nacion located in the Migraciones building. My advice is to show up early, around 7 am, and let them know that you have an urgent case. Bring paperwork that can substantiate this, such as an airplane ticket itinerary. They will likely give you preference. I was in a similar situation a few months ago, and they fast tracked the issuance of my son's new passport. I was in an out within 4 hours. Very impressive work on their end.

Best wishes!
ardilla
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Renewing peruvian passport in Lima: availability of appointments on short notice

Postby ardilla » Wed May 24, 2017 11:33 pm

Hi Alan,
Thanks for this great tip. We will try this.

Question: when you say Migraciones do you mean the office in Bre~a or any of the offices we may choose to go to? Does it matter which one?

I checked online and there are no appointments until July so your advice is really helpful!
Thanks much.
alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alan » Tue May 30, 2017 12:51 pm

At the time we did it, the sattelite offices were still unable to issue the new biometric passports, so we went straight to Breña. I would think your best bet is there, and they have a Banco de La Nacion right in the building... I'm not so sure about the other locations.
ardilla
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby ardilla » Tue May 30, 2017 5:49 pm

Thanks Alan for the tip. Update: we got the passport today, but not without some hand wringing at the last minute.

According to a memo in the Migraciones office, there has been a problem since February 2017 with the machines leased to the Peruvian Migraciones that are used to make passports. So Migraciones has issued a moratorium on 'walk up' appointments for people with no appointment. In practice this meant that although we are traveling relatively soon (in the next few weeks) and only had today to go to Migraciones in Brena due to time constraints, we were informed that we can only go 48 hours prior to leaving the country and not sooner. This we learned after a wait at 7:30am and paying the fee at the Banco de La Nacion.

Fortunately we received some instructions from the passport application technical assistance window on how to submit a written request for an expedited passport outside of the 48 hour window. Also fortunately we had brought copies of what we needed to submit for the waiver. We were told that we should not assume we would be guaranteed a waiver of the 48 hour requirement. We are thankful we brought all the documentation we could think of to demonstrate the 48 hour window would not be practical, but please know that walkup passport requests are at the mercy of the folks running the operation at Migraciones as to whether this process is a priority. Most of the people had passport appointments, but it was impossible for us to wait a few months for an appointment when we are traveling so soon.

Alan thanks again for this information; we hope the above summary is helpful for those who need to go to Migraciones @ Brena.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register