Westerner style Christmas fruit cakes

This is the place for ON or Off topic conversations. Almost anything goes - but be kind, and no trolling.
Forum rules
While the rules in this forum are more relaxed than in other parts of the Expat site, there are still a few things we’d like you to remember: No name calling, no insults – be civil to each other!
Wiracocha
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:13 pm

Westerner style Christmas fruit cakes

Postby Wiracocha » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:36 pm

Hi all,

Can someone advise me IF there is anywhere in Lima that English/European/Westerner style Christmas fruit cakes are imported/made/sold, please? Or even a "traditional"plum pudding ?
I am not a panetone cake fan and crave these items for Christmas...if possible.

Cheers,
W


User avatar
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 184
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:44 am

Re: Westerner style Christmas fruit cakes

Postby bigdaddy » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:19 pm

Wiracocha wrote:Hi all,

Can someone advise me IF there is anywhere in Lima that English/European/Westerner style Christmas fruit cakes are imported/made/sold, please? Or even a "traditional"plum pudding ?
I am not a panetone cake fan and crave these items for Christmas...if possible.

Cheers,
W


Good luck finding some. The best fruit cake is the boozed up variety.
My granny used to make some that would knock your socks off.

Cheers!
Large and in charge!
User avatar
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1412
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: Westerner style Christmas fruit cakes

Postby windsportinperu » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:57 am

Is it something similar to this ? .... Keke de Pasas y Pecanas...

https://www.google.com.pe/search?q=keke ... 66&bih=615
User avatar
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 184
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:44 am

Re: Westerner style Christmas fruit cakes

Postby bigdaddy » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:34 am

windsportinperu wrote:Is it something similar to this ? .... Keke de Pasas y Pecanas...

https://www.google.com.pe/search?q=keke ... 66&bih=615


Nope, similar to this...

https://www.collinstreet.com/online_bak ... -fruitcake
Large and in charge!
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1503
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:12 pm
Location: "Miraflores State of Mind"

Re: Westerner style Christmas fruit cakes

Postby Alpineprince » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:57 pm

I understand there were under 100,000 fruitcakes ever produced and fewer than that in existence today. Legend has it that they were produced in Europe in the early 1900's and shipped in "tins" to customers in Europe and USA only. Most were never opened and consumed and nowadays's they are used solely for " re gifting" at Christmas time between relatives who are not talking to each other. Some fruitcakes are rumored to have been in the same family for generations.
User avatar
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 184
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:44 am

Re: Westerner style Christmas fruit cakes

Postby bigdaddy » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:52 pm

Alpineprince wrote:I understand there were under 100,000 fruitcakes ever produced and fewer than that in existence today. Legend has it that they were produced in Europe in the early 1900's and shipped in "tins" to customers in Europe and USA only. Most were never opened and consumed and nowadays's they are used solely for " re gifting" at Christmas time between relatives who are not talking to each other. Some fruitcakes are rumored to have been in the same family for generations.


Yeah, that's where the booze comes in. You pickle that stuff to last for years...
https://oureverydaylife.com/can-eat-fru ... 29586.html
Large and in charge!

Return to “Expat Conversations”

Login  •  Register