UPDATED - Kudos to Travel Agency and Interbank

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
DC_20833

UPDATED - Kudos to Travel Agency and Interbank

Postby DC_20833 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:51 am

i was purchasing my airline tickets to New York and found a great deal online with LAN. $899 each way to New York in Business Class which is a steal for that I think it was $500 for coach. Then I called a travel agent about a hotel room in Tacna because I am having a car shipped to Peru and it will arrive in Tacna next week and I have to pick it up. So I asked the agent about hotels in Tacna and she was able to find something and she asked me about my airline tickets and I told her I had mine for Tacna but had she heard bout this promotion on LAN and she said yes and she could beat the price for Biz Class and quoted me $599 each way so I said fine do it.

So far so good, so I go their office in Miraflores to pickup the ticket and this is where my nightmare started. First of all the agents seemed incompetent because they couldn`t figure out how to enter my LAN Pass Numbers (isn`t that Travel Agent 101). Then she informs me there is a 7% fee to use my debit card and I normally pay cash when I encounter surcharges but the banks had closed so I was going to eat because the ticket had to bought today. So she starts to ticket it and it literally took her 30 minutes with 3 people helping her to finally inform me. I am so sorry Mister LAN discarded your reservation because you didn`t pick it up in time. So she makes a new one and then the debit card machine wasn`t working so she offers to do a manual transaction that took another 20 minutes and she claims Scotia Bank denied my card interesting I had over $3000 in the account.

Luckily, I hadn`t canceled the online reservation I had made so I went home and printed out the payment tickets for Viviandia and Interbank. Vivandia could not get into LAN`s system so I went over to Interbank and literally within 10 seconds the transaction was over and I had a receipt and when I arrived home a confirmation email had arrived with the docs to print out my tickets. OH, and by the way I used my Scotia Bank Card to pay for it at Interbank because I have a lot of Scotia Bonus Points and I have something eyed in the Catalog that I am getting closer to.

Here is the company information and I urge to avoid this place like the plague unless you enjoy wasting like three hours of your life.

FERTUR PERU TRAVEL EIRL
Jirón Junín 211 Lima 1 - Perú
Telf: 0051 - 1 - 4272626
Fax: 001(954) 3629895
Toll Free USA 18772470055
Toll Free Inglaterra 02030023811
Telf. de Emergencia : 9690 - 5756 RPM *240096
E-mail: [email protected]
Web Site: http://www.fertur-travel.com

I opened two accounts at Interbank in June and I have been really happy with them. The people seem excited and always have a smile. No waiting QUE based upon your banking relationship. Their data processing systems are great too. It was a bit of chore getting the debit cards working on the internet and getting tokens issued. But overall I give the experience an A so far.

americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: AVOID THIS TRAVEL AGENCY and KUDOS INTERBANK

Postby americorps » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:59 am

There are some really bad travel agencies in Peru.

I booked through Peru Gateway Travel and they screwed everything up from beginning to end.... and could care less even after they lost a complaint with IPeru and Indecopi...though I think they felt different when they were fined by INDICOPI.
alexPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alexPeru » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:52 am

Thanks for the info. Where did you find business class ticket that cheap? On lan.com?
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:26 am

I used Fertur Travel several times and have only ever had good experiences with them. Quick, efficient, good prices and good service. I, my friends and also family booked with them and had no problems and everything went like clock work during our/their trips around Peru. I thought they were rather good to be honest.
rickfrombrooklyn

Postby rickfrombrooklyn » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:00 pm

Dear DC_20833,

It is true, there are many very bad travel agencies and tour operators. Some are unscrupulous. Others are incompetent. Many are simply out to separate a customer from his money, with little or no regard for the quality of service they provide.

That's not us.

I am very sorry for the perfect storm of human errors and technical glitches that led to your conclusion about Fertur Peru. I fully understand your frustration and anger.

I would like to offer some recompense for the inconvenience. I wrote to you earlier in a direct private email. I do hope to hear back from you.

Best regards,

Rick Vecchio
Director Development & Marketing
Fertur Peru Travel
Tel: +51-1-242-1900 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              +51-1-242-1900      end_of_the_skype_highlighting
http://www.fertur-travel.com
http://ferturperu.info
Calle Schell Nº 485 Miraflores/Lima-Perú
IATA, IGLTA, ASTA, APAVIT

DC_20833 wrote:i was purchasing my airline tickets to New York and found a great deal online with LAN. $899 each way to New York in Business Class which is a steal for that I think it was $500 for coach. Then I called a travel agent about a hotel room in Tacna because I am having a car shipped to Peru and it will arrive in Tacna next week and I have to pick it up. So I asked the agent about hotels in Tacna and she was able to find something and she asked me about my airline tickets and I told her I had mine for Tacna but had she heard bout this promotion on LAN and she said yes and she could beat the price for Biz Class and quoted me $599 each way so I said fine do it.

So far so good, so I go their office in Miraflores to pickup the ticket and this is where my nightmare started. First of all the agents seemed incompetent because they couldn`t figure out how to enter my LAN Pass Numbers (isn`t that Travel Agent 101). Then she informs me there is a 7% fee to use my debit card and I normally pay cash when I encounter surcharges but the banks had closed so I was going to eat because the ticket had to bought today. So she starts to ticket it and it literally took her 30 minutes with 3 people helping her to finally inform me. I am so sorry Mister LAN discarded your reservation because you didn`t pick it up in time. So she makes a new one and then the debit card machine wasn`t working so she offers to do a manual transaction that took another 20 minutes and she claims Scotia Bank denied my card interesting I had over $3000 in the account.

Luckily, I hadn`t canceled the online reservation I had made so I went home and printed out the payment tickets for Viviandia and Interbank. Vivandia could not get into LAN`s system so I went over to Interbank and literally within 10 seconds the transaction was over and I had a receipt and when I arrived home a confirmation email had arrived with the docs to print out my tickets. OH, and by the way I used my Scotia Bank Card to pay for it at Interbank because I have a lot of Scotia Bonus Points and I have something eyed in the Catalog that I am getting closer to.

Here is the company information and I urge to avoid this place like the plague unless you enjoy wasting like three hours of your life.

FERTUR PERU TRAVEL EIRL
Jirón Junín 211 Lima 1 - Perú
Telf: 0051 - 1 - 4272626 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              0051 - 1 - 4272626      end_of_the_skype_highlighting
Fax: 001(954) 3629895
Toll Free USA 18772470055
Toll Free Inglaterra 02030023811
Telf. de Emergencia : 9690 - 5756 RPM *240096
E-mail: [email protected]
Web Site: http://www.fertur-travel.com

I opened two accounts at Interbank in June and I have been really happy with them. The people seem excited and always have a smile. No waiting QUE based upon your banking relationship. Their data processing systems are great too. It was a bit of chore getting the debit cards working on the internet and getting tokens issued. But overall I give the experience an A so far.
Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Ron » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:09 pm

rickfrombrooklyn,

That is the type of response I would expect from a business. Good job.
mwallach

Postby mwallach » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:37 pm

I'm impressed. Great to see that someone is willing to stand up and take it on the chin when they make a mistake. Great job being public in your response.

Mark Wallach
http://gringoinperu.blogspot.com/
J Mark Wallach
http://gringoinperu.blogspot.com/
[email protected]
IM: j.mark.wallach (Skype)
Peru Cell: 945 274 341
www.tqeperu.com
DC_20833

Postby DC_20833 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:45 pm

I want to first of all thank the operator for emailing me and though I did not get the email (and that could be a problem on my end) I will contact the company and work out a resolution. I am firm but fair I will report back on the resolution and experience.
DC_20833

Postby DC_20833 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:49 pm

I want to first of all thank the operator for emailing me and though I did not get the email (and that could be a problem on my end) I will contact the company and work out a resolution. I am firm but fair I will report back on the resolution and experience.
DC_20833

Postby DC_20833 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:51 pm

alexPeru wrote:Thanks for the info. Where did you find business class ticket that cheap? On lan.com?

They will run specials because I have a LAN Pass I get email specials. I do not think they are available on the website. However, I am more than willing to share the specials and see if anybody can get them. I think it would be simple to just get a LAN Pass number and start getting the emails.
alexPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alexPeru » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:26 pm

I usually fly American, so I'm an Advantage member. I've recently been using Avianca for business trips, because of their business class prices and the high quality. You've just got to stop over at Bogota which can be a little annoying, but you get into JFK at 6am, which is great for meetings!

Thanks for the tip on the LanPass though, I'll take a look, since I'm hating using AA!
rickfrombrooklyn

Postby rickfrombrooklyn » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:51 pm

Hi DC_20833,

Sorry you didn't receive the original message. As previously mentioned, I have something for you. You can stop by the Miraflores office to pick it up, or if you send me your address I can have it sent over to you. I'm going to be in the office in the afternoon tomorrow. I'm out of town all next week, though.

Best regards,
Rick
DC_20833

Postby DC_20833 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:54 am

Rick contacted me via email and has really gone overboard to make this situation correct and I commend him for his candor and openiness. NOTE TO MODERATOR - PLEASE CHANGE THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD TO USE THIS TRAVEL AGENCY AND KUDOS INTERBANK.

It is refreshing to see a business person here acknowledge when things don`t workout and offer solutions it was a bad bad day when I posted the original message and I was blowing off some steam. Because Rick has been so straightforward and open in his responses I will look forward to using the services of his travel agency in the future. While the internet is a great place to buy travel products, travel agents provide a valuable service especially when you want to tour a new area and have no general knowledge of the area you want to tour. Once again, thanks Rick and I look forward to using your travel agency again and I know the result will be great because of the leadership you have shown here.
jimrcqn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: UPDATED - Kudos to Travel Agency and Interbank

Postby jimrcqn » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:05 am

We have used Fertur 3 or 4 times in the past year and a half with generally good, positive results. I first found the agency after doing a Google search for English speaking travel agent in Lima. Fertur was part of a very small search result (maybe the only one for all I can remember). I then did some other research and checked their web site. A big plus was when I saw they are members of IGLTA (though I wish they more prominently displayed this fact in their office and on their windows).

The stepping forward by local manager Rick acknowledging the problem and taking action to make amends speaks highly of the agency and is reflective of most of my experiences with them.

There is one thing that I did find off-putting, and it will cost them some of our business in the future: the 7% fee they charge for using a credit card. That is a rip-off, and they should remember they are a travel agency, not a bank. I usually withdraw cash from ATMs and pay for everything with cash. However, the last time we used Fertur, a local Scotia ATM had eaten my US bank card a couple of days prior, and we did not have enough cash to pay for our trip. When I presented my credit card, I was told of the 7% fee. My first inclination was to tell her to cancel everything and go home and do it all myself on the Internet. But we had already spent a great amount of time in the office making arrangements and the trip was in a couple of days, so I reluctantly went ahead with the credit card payment -- but it left a very negative impression that I will remember.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:15 am

It is a testament to this travel agency how they have responded.

I have shown the links to both this conversation and to the one I put about Peru Gateway Travel

They still have never acknowledged me. They did not even show up to the hearing at IPERU.

Next time I use a travel agency, or anyone asks me to suggest a good one, I will both make sure to recommend this one and to make sure they avoid Peru Gateway Travel at all costs.
DC_20833

Postby DC_20833 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:03 pm

Well the Courier just arrived and all I can say is I am in shock. This is a prime example of turning vinegar into wine folks. First let me state, I was having a bad day and the frustration I experienced getting these tickets made a bad day even worse. However, when you step back and look at it YES the Agency made a few boo boos the main one being not telling me the exact hour the reservation would be canceled but we all make mistakes and nobody is perfect and the bottom line they have responded and showed that they do care and value my business and I will be using them again. I do a lot of traveling so there will be lots of opportunities for me to experience their services again and based upon how they handled this matter I bet this is gonna be the first business here in Lima to be nominated for an Ex-Pat Gold Star Award.

Looks like I am going to have throw one big Christmas Party because their bottle of Premium PISCO has 14 brothers and sisters. Also the Travel Agency sent a delicious box of chocolates that my mother adores. KUDOS to this company and I look forward to reporting back on my next transaction with them. WELL DONE !!!!

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register