Lan's $178 fee for non residents

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
trujillobart

Lan's $178 fee for non residents

Postby trujillobart » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:41 am

Does anyone know if the $178 dollar fee that Lan Airline charges for non residents is charge twice for a round trip flight or once? I want to buy a ticket for a non resident, round trip from Lima to Trujillo. The cost is $435 dollars on Lan but $54 for residents. I will pay the extra $178 at the airport but I want to know if this is charged for each leg of the trip or just once for the round trip ticket. Thanks.

Pollo mani
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Lan's $178 fee for non residents

Postby Pollo mani » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:54 am

The way I understand it the fee is per leg of the trip. if you paid 435 it is already included in that price.
Happy Travels
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:50 pm

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7419

This is actually the most talked about and visited post on this board.

Click the link above for an 11 page dialogue on the topic.

It applies to any non resident, so if you are Peruvian or here with a Carnet, you pay what they call a base fare, and if you are here on a tourist visa, you pay a base plus fare that can be as much as 300% higher.

If somehow you purchase a base fare without having a carnet or DNI, and they bother to check it at the airport, they can fine you up to $178.50 per flight. Some say that means per segment, other suggest it means each way. In other words, a non-stop round trip flight could suffer a penalty of $357.00 USD.

There are currently 3 (that I know of) discrimination complaints working their way through Indecopi for what some people have declared a racist or unfair airline fee.

It has been compared to the Floridian Discount for Disneyland or the duel price system for Machu Picchu, however those comparisons, in my opinion, are patently false because those discounts are connected to other matters. Disneyland, for example, gave Floridians and especially Orlandians a discount in exchange for a tax break on the property taxes. Machu Picchu is also a tax issue where Peruvian tax dollars are used to promote and upkeep the property and it is a matter of national patrimony. Those price breaks are both based, at least in part, to taxation issues.

The Lan fee is simply a profit motivator for the airline and the funds go directly to the Parent Company, Lan Chile.

Star Peru, Peruvian Airlines, LC Busre and Taca all fly to a growing number of destinations and so far have avoided the duel price system.

Few have found a problem with Peruvians being offered a discount to promote travel and toursism within the country, but that is not really what Lan is doing. A discount would be a discount on a base fare, instead they are adding a surcharge based on nationality. They might have avoided much of the controversy if they had simply offered a discount with a DNI or Carnet number from the base fare.

This has been in news papers, radio talk shows and on CNN and a simple google search will show hundreds of discussions about it on various travel sites around the world. While a few people do not have a problem with it, the vast majority find it an unfair business practice and a hidden fee.

On one radio show, Travel Writer and consumer advocate, Chris Elliott mentioned that the only other airline he knew that had a similar practice apart from Lan was Soviet era Aeroflat.

I have contacted Lan and expressed my feelings and no longer fly them even though I do have a carnet.
adamsouthfl
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby adamsouthfl » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:32 pm

You're free to purchase the Base Plus fare on LAN but if I could offer my S/0.02, consider Star Peru. I flew them for the first time last month and was very pleased. My roundtrip to Trujillo was $116.00 USD and I was able to buy the ticket from the US on their website. There was 1 stop in Chiclayo on the way to Trujillo but we were on the ground for only 20 minutes.
iron butterfly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby iron butterfly » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:58 am

I think it is actually a fine and not a fee. A fee is something you pay to get something additional. In this case it is a fine because the ticket was bought under false pretenses.

Since you are aware of the $178 fine, LAN seems to have done a pretty good job in making you and others aware of the consequences in buying a ticket that is only available to Peruvians.

Every one of those topics in "various travel sites around the world" are from jealous whining people wanting what is not theirs. They all have themes in common "He can do it, so, why can't I?" "This is so unfair".

To date: There is not one case of anyone paying that fine. If someone had paid that fine it would certainly be a hot topic on "various travel sites around the world".

To date: LAN has not been found for any wrong doing.

To date: LAN is a business sink or swim, LAN is swimming because of this offer to Peruvians.

To date: Many Peruvians have been able to afford to fly, many for the first time, because of LANs generosity.

I have contacted Lan and expressed my feelings, I will always recommend and fly LAN.
I say Thank you LAN you are another reason why I love Peru.
Jason
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jason » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:32 pm

iron butterfly wrote:To date: LAN is a business sink or swim, LAN is swimming because of this offer to Peruvians.

To date: Many Peruvians have been able to afford to fly, many for the first time, because of LANs generosity.

I have contacted Lan and expressed my feelings, I will always recommend and fly LAN.
I say Thank you LAN you are another reason why I love Peru.

I live in the US, but travel to Peru often since my wife is Peruvian. I will be making a trip to Iquitos in June and I just priced round trip flights with LAN, Star Peru, and Peruvian Airlines. LAN was $632.76, Star Peru was $121.82, and Peruvian Airlines was $224.82. I don't know why anybody in their right mind who isn't a resident of Peru would buy a ticket with LAN.

I doubt LAN is swimming because of their discriminatory practices against non-residents. I'm surprised they're still in business because they aren't receiving business from tourists. Even if I were a resident of Peru, I would rather do business with an airline that doesn't discriminate. Peruvians can fly with other airlines such as Star Peru for about the same price as LAN offers so LAN isn't providing a "deal" for Peruvians or being generous. They are just punishing non-residents.

If an airline in the US discriminated in this way against non US residents, I'm sure we would hear how terrible this airline would be doing (rightfully so). They would be opening the door for multiple lawsuits as well. I will make sure I recommend to all my friends (Peruvians included) to never fly LAN.
Pollo mani
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Pollo mani » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:50 pm

there are still many tourist flying Lan and paying those prices. The tour groups all use Lan when you book package deals. In doing so the tourist has no idea what it is costing for their flights on Lan, or that they could be saving a bundle on thier trips by using another airline. This is what makes me angry.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:15 pm

Most people do not realize that if you book your international flights thru Lan and include these other legs, you will not be paying this fee/fine.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register