Travel options in Peru

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
peterleightonjones

Travel options in Peru

Postby peterleightonjones » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:55 am

Hi,

I'm thinking of travelling around Peru's interior a bit but was hoping I could call upon your collective wisdom to figure out the best options to do so economically. My preference is to take flights and from what I can see Star Peru seems to be the cheapest of the airlines? (LAN and TACA's flights are a no-go by virtue of their scandalous surcharges). I was wondering if there are any tricks to getting the best deals?

Aside from flights, I would take buses if the prices were considerably better. However, all the websites for the bus firms seem pretty pathetic, often I can't even locate the prices and the itineraries! What is with Peruvian websites and the propensity for not advertising prices online?! I mean are you supposed to turn up on the day not knowing how much it will cost, or have to resort to calling them when there's no good reason why the info shouldn't be recorded electronically?? (sorry for the rant but it's a pet hate of mine). I digress...what I really want to know is which companies people have had good experiences with and whether a return works out cheaper than two singles (logic would suggest yes i imagine)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

As for locations, I fancy either the jungle or Cusco but I'm aware that it's currently the rainy season....does this really put a 'dampener' on any trip to these places or would the weather conditions be bearable this time of year?

I'm also thinking of flying to Chile, Bolivia, Ecuador, or Argentina and making a trip around those places with my GF....in this case, where are the best flights usually to be found? I know that South American flights are very expensive in general but we wouldn't have enough time to take such a long trip using buses.

Thank you very much in advance...

Pollo mani
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Travel options in Peru

Postby Pollo mani » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:15 am

Hi, well your best options are either air in Peru with Starperu or Peruvian airlines www.peruvianairlines.pe
Bus in side Peru I recommend Cruz Del Sur, their web site you can see prices and buy on line.
Safe Travels
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stuart » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:22 am

peterleightonjones wrote:Hi,

I'm thinking of travelling around Peru's interior a bit but was hoping I could call upon your collective wisdom to figure out the best options to do so economically.

My preference is to take flights and from what I can see Star Peru seems to be the cheapest of the airlines? (LAN and TACA's flights are a no-go by virtue of their scandalous surcharges). I was wondering if there are any tricks to getting the best deals?

Peruvian Airlines, run by a drug baron, is another option.

Aside from flights, I would take buses if the prices were considerably better. However, all the websites for the bus firms seem pretty pathetic, often I can't even locate the prices and the itineraries! What is with Peruvian websites and the propensity for not advertising prices online?! I mean are you supposed to turn up on the day not knowing how much it will cost, or have to resort to calling them when there's no good reason why the info shouldn't be recorded electronically??

Yes, it's called travel, the basis of many peoples most treasured memories, and a profitable industry in the form of travel shows and articles. You could increase enjoyment yet further by losing any idea of a specific location to visit, as well as price and itineraries. Considering you are travelling for pleasure rather than business, you should relax!

I digress...what I really want to know is which companies people have had good experiences with and whether a return works out cheaper than two singles (logic would suggest yes i imagine)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Into the mountains take Cruz de Sur, along the coast take Oltursa.

As for locations, I fancy either the jungle or Cusco but I'm aware that it's currently the rainy season....does this really put a 'dampener' on any trip to these places or would the weather conditions be bearable this time of year?

Rainy season makes land transport difficult as roads are washed out. Yet land transport and bus hopping offer a better sense of a connection to where you are and offers sights you would not otherwise see.

I'm also thinking of flying to Chile, Bolivia, Ecuador, or Argentina and making a trip around those places with my GF....in this case, where are the best flights usually to be found? I know that South American flights are very expensive in general but we wouldn't have enough time to take such a long trip using buses.

Ecuador and Bolivia by land, Chile and Argentina by air. That said, every single major city in Chile is exactly one night's bus journey from the next. You could save hundreds in hotels and loose no time at all in travel time if you can sleep on a bus.

Thank you very much in advance...[/quote]
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:36 pm

Those of us who use use Peruvian Airlines regularly are very happy with their on time performance, friendly service, low prices and comfort.

I would recommend them in a heart beat, and I do quite frequently.

I also suggest Oltursa bus lines as they are a new fleet than Cruz del Sur (I recommend Cruz del Sur as well) often a bit cheaper than Cruz del Sur and on some of their routes they offer loaner IPads.
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby koplinfamilia » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:56 am

We've used Cruz del Sur and Oltursa, both I would highly recommend. Apart from that we recently took GM International to Huanuco and they also were a very nice company. I've used Junin to get to Chanchamayo, they are decent as well but not quite as high of class as the others. Always when traveling by bus, take the top of the line for security/safety reasons. The cost is not much more and it is worth it. I don't believe you save anything buying round trip, they charge by the leg of the journey.

I've never flown in and around Peru but we have taken the bus to and from Chile (Arica - border hop) and as someone else posted, it is worth it to just hop on a bus, fall asleep and then arrive at your destination early the next morning. Especially if you head toward the mountains, buses give you great views but depending on where you are going they can leave you with some pretty serious motion sickness or in most cases altitude sickness. This too can be avoided or at least calmed by eating very light the day before and day of travel and or taking medication such as gravol/dramamine.
Integrity Tourism & Transportation
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
USA Direct Line (585) 861-3106
http://www.integritytourism.com
smithwayne7

Postby smithwayne7 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:50 am

Move your freight and cargo by air, road, rail or ocean with GX Transport.
smithwayne7

Postby smithwayne7 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:52 am

peterleightonjones wrote:Hi,

I'm thinking of travelling around Peru's interior a bit but was hoping I could call upon your collective wisdom to figure out the best options to do so economically. My preference is to take flights and from what I can see Star Peru seems to be the cheapest of the airlines? (LAN and TACA's flights are a no-go by virtue of their scandalous surcharges). I was wondering if there are any tricks to getting the best deals?

Aside from flights, I would take buses if the prices were considerably better. However, all the websites for the bus firms seem pretty pathetic, often I can't even locate the prices and the itineraries! What is with Peruvian websites and the propensity for not advertising prices online?! I mean are you supposed to turn up on the day not knowing how much it will cost, or have to resort to calling them when there's no good reason why the info shouldn't be recorded electronically?? (sorry for the rant but it's a pet hate of mine). I digress...what I really want to know is which companies people have had good experiences with and whether a return works out cheaper than two singles (logic would suggest yes i imagine)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance...

Hi..
Get a freight quote for cargo shipping across Canada, USA and Internationally. GX Transport is the Toronto shipping company you can depend on.
adamssmithone

Postby adamssmithone » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:44 am

If you love to keep issues organized -- and you also don’t have any desire to travel independently -- any Peru travel package is a good option. There are plenty of travel packages accessible, many of that offers a high degree of customization. You can tailor the package to fit your budget and ones timeframe, selecting the attractions that you would like to see.

An entire tour takes away all of the pressure of arranging. You’ll meet up with all your tour group or possibly a tour organizer right after arriving in Peru, either at Lima airport or for a prearranged hotel. Normally, your tour agency will handle all of ones transport, accommodation and activity arrangements in your time in Peru.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register