hongos

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

hongos

Postby euroman » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:07 pm

I tried all kinds of cremes and pills against hongos under my feet nails.

Anyone has had or has the same but found a certain creme or other medication that really helps?

Keeping my feet dry is difficult as where I live, it's very humid and rains a lot.

I read that El Hospital de Solidaridad in La Victoria has a treatment by laser. Anyone has tried this out?

Pollo mani
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: hongos

Postby Pollo mani » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:35 pm

There is a product called Sonogal -Y forte sold here in lima that is for hongo , also I was reading for internet that Vick's Vapor Rub applied twice per day to the nail.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:56 am

damn, thought this was going to be about where to score some shrooms 8)
mahou123
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mahou123 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:19 am

renodante wrote:damn, thought this was going to be about where to score some shrooms 8)

That would be "las setas" in correct castellano. :wink:
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:10 pm

Pollo mani wrote:There is a product called Sonogal -Y forte sold here in lima that is for hongo , also I was reading for internet that Vick's Vapor Rub applied twice per day to the nail.

funny this should come up now. just a couple of days ago I bought some vic's just for this purpose.
:-)~mike~(-:
anuta

Postby anuta » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:36 pm

You should see a doctor (and not a cheap one) for advice. I don't think laser treats hongos...

Apparently Tea Tree oil helps, but I'm not sure if you can find it in Lima, but if someone ever comes to visit you from your country, ask them to bring it. It has anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties. Otherwise, a doc can prescribe you medication to take orally, but apparently, it might be hard on the liver.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
A. Einstein
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomsax » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:28 pm

euroman wrote:I tried all kinds of cremes and pills against hongos under my feet nails.

Anyone has had or has the same but found a certain creme or other medication that really helps?

Keeping my feet dry is difficult as where I live, it's very humid and rains a lot.

I read that El Hospital de Solidaridad in La Victoria has a treatment by laser. Anyone has tried this out?

Sympathys euroman from a fellow sufferer. Not sure this will work in the selva being as you say more humid but I had a miraculous cure to this when I used to work in the highlands in Peru though I'm afraid I might upset people's stomach by recounting it.

I worked in a small village, three weeks at a time, where there was basically no water except that from a freezing standpipe. I used to wash every morning standing naked (sorry) with a bucket of water next to me but standing on a dusty concrete floor with my boots on. Hence I didn't wash my feet for three weeks. Miraculously after three weeks I would always have absolutely no hongos. It would only come back again after staying in Lima where I washed my feet during the week I was on my rest days.

So my advice is just try NOT washing your feet for a couple of weeks! Keep your feet dry by keeping them in waterproof shoes/boots. What have you got to lose but a few skeamish friends and that's only if you tell them!
Tom
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:53 pm

I had it in all ten toes and risked 6 months of lamasil and it cured 9 of the toes.

Anuta is wrong, there is a new and seemingly very effective lazer treatment for toe fungus. I have not tried it yet, but have been reading about it and am considering it.

Most insurance in the US does not even cover toe fungus as they consider it a cosmetic issue since it really causes little harm to most people who have it, though a small percentage get secondary toe infections from it.

I will not take Lamasil again because I understand better now that it could stop your liver from functioning.

I am very eager to know more about the lazer treatment,but can not investigate it further right now.

This is the second generation of lazer treatment for nail fungus. The first generation was no more effective than the pill and mainly created little holes in your toenail to give better access for other medicines to penetrate and work.

This new generation creates a very targeted lazer blast that stops past the top of the nail but stops before it reaches the skin. This literally heats the fungus level to the point of killing the fungus without damaging the surrounding nail or skin.

I will probably check it out next year..so really, I am not answering your question other than to say I have heard about and looked into it and find it an appealing option with the information provided so far.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:31 pm

My husband's foot fungus was cured by a 6 month course of fluconazole. He only had to take one pill per week.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register