Moving to Cusco-Need Advice!

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
AmandaZ

Moving to Cusco-Need Advice!

Postby AmandaZ » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:26 pm

Hi! My husband, daughter and I will be moving to Cusco in a month. I have a few questions that I hope someone will be able to help me with. First, does anyone know of a good elementary school in the area? Also, what should we expect to pay for a 2-bedroom apartment or home? Is San Blas still a good, affordable neighborhood?

MomIAm

Re: Moving to Cusco-Need Advice!

Postby MomIAm » Sun May 01, 2011 10:48 am

You might want to plan on being in a hotel/hostel for a couple days/a week while you check out apartment options. San Blas is very nice, but probably one of the most expensive places in town to live.

You don't say how old your daughter is, but my girls are in school at Ausangate (its K-7 this year - adding a grade every year) Bilingual School (http://www.ausangate.edu.pe/) but your happiness with it, in my opinion would depend heavily on what you are looking for in a school.

Feel free to PM me with more questions. We are here temporarily but will be here until the end of July.
Debby
mulcahen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mulcahen » Sun May 01, 2011 4:54 pm

ok. Personally I would get a flight down without the kids and spend time house hunting. Paper called Rueda de Negocios comes out 3 times a week is the best place for accom ads,be aware you will never see the price published so always have to waste time and ring.

Could strike lucky and find somewhere quick or could take a fair while, might be ready to move into , might be available in a month...

San Blas, very pricey. Nice residential area is Magisterial, 10 to 15 mins from centre in taxi ( traffic can be very bad) house will cost you prob 550, 600U$ upwards. May not be particularly nice, and as in all of cusco, windows will be small and ill fitting, probably a cold tiled floor, roof may not be finished, neighbours may decide to build a 5 storey block of flats in front of your sunny window.

Apartments say 3 bed newish go for 350 to 500 U$ depending on location and what the owner fancies charging. Equally you can pay 450 U$ for bad condition 25 yr old flat that owner has decided is worth that amount because they know of someone who once charged someone that.

standard of houses is poor really, especially for the price. many places get not sun and are cold due to bad design. Hot water usually powered by dodgy shower head with wires all over the place. Walls rock hard concrete.

Schools: Ausangate has good rep with lots of gringos but many find it too laid back ( bit montessori), not enough homework or old style education about 450 soles per month. Puclasunchis ( not quite spelt like that), also has a good rep as an alternative school, 400 ish soles. La Salle prob the best more disciplined school, 350 soles month. Catholic mixed, good though has it stupidities at times.Lots of homework and push kids hard but fairly good sportwise( for cusco) and meant to be moving to a new bigger site soon.

hope that helps
AmandaZ

Postby AmandaZ » Mon May 02, 2011 8:01 am

Thanks for the information!

momiam, does that mean that your place will be available in July? :D
chaska95
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby chaska95 » Thu May 05, 2011 3:41 pm

I don't have kids, but recently moved here myself, and can second the need to check out the Rueda de Negocios. It's a bit frustrating when you don't know the locations all that well, but I am happy to share the little I've learned and have other friends here as well who are Cusquñan, but speak English and would be happy to help as well,

Good luck with the move!
Jo
They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself. - Andy Warhol
We all have big changes in our lives that are more or less a second chance. - Harrison Ford

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register