Peruvian Airlines Reopens Saturday *edited

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Peruvian Airlines Reopens Saturday *edited

Postby americorps » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:20 am

Yes, I am one of the biggest cheerleaders for Peruvian Airlines as I have used them half a dozen times and found their rates low, flights ontime, customer service above par and experienced no problems with their planes.

However, they seem to be having some issues and the government has closed them down for 90 days after recently failing safety inspections.

I know this is a travel related issue, the reason I posted it here is that more people see this thread and the information may be of immediate concern to some. If Kelly feels it should go to travel, I totally understand.

Link below to article in Spanish

http://elcomercio.pe/economia/1054304/n ... n-airlines
Last edited by americorps on Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Peruvian Airlines closed 90 days - failed safety inspection

Postby Lloyd007 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:18 am

I just flew with them last week, which was my fourth time with this airline.

Unfortunately, it was only the 2nd flight with them that left on time... the other two times, my flights were delayed by between 3-5 hours. It was awful. Simply awful.

Anyway, thanks for this post, and what a relief I wasn't going with them this weekend! That really would have been the icing on the cake. jaja
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:39 am

I heard a notice this morning that some of this might be political. The surprise inspection came less than 1 week after the owner of Peruvian Airlines blasted Lan very publicly for their gringo pricing schedule where they charge non residents up to 400% more for tickets.

That offensive pricing structure is followed by both Lan and Taca.

Star, LC Busre and Peruvian Airlines do not base their prices on your nationality.

The commentator suggested that perhaps Lan was behind the surprise inspection and results.

Now, I do not know one way or the other, but I wish I did. If Peruvian Airlines really has bad planes, I need to know, if it is another example of a corrupt Peruvian Official being paid off for a bad report, I want to know that too.
Pollo mani
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Pollo mani » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:58 am

Hmmm. with the goverment talking about starting their own airline,this public talk of gringo fares of Lan and Taca, timing of this is shut down is suspicious. My bet it is mostly political.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:36 am

I suspect the Rothchilds !
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:00 am

Alpineprince wrote:I suspect the Rothchilds !

I don't know if we are allowed to change are answers? But if we can:

I suspect:
Colonel Mustard, in the Dining room, with the wrench!
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:46 am

so how are we suposed to know if it was political or justified? Seems important to know if it was justified. Will this mean the end of Peruvian?
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:08 pm

teamoperu wrote:so how are we suposed to know if it was political or justified? Seems important to know if it was justified. Will this mean the end of Peruvian?

Peruvian Airlines has responded to the Ministry of Transportation’s decision to suspend their flights for 90 days.

Through a statement to the public, Peruvian Airlines called the decision “arrogant” and “baseless.”

According to T News the airline said that this situation is the result of the recent expropriation of a workshop at the airport hangar, which housed its operational and maintenance center, which left the company without one of the legal requirements needed to operate.

However, the company said, it has already signed a lease with Lima Airport Partners, in order to fulfill the requirement.

"There is no particular event, an 'incident' or 'accident' that could warrant such a radical ruling, as the unjust and illegal act committed by the Directorate of Civil Aviation; the suspension is only under supposed ‘preventive’ assumptions and not because of any event that would affect the safety of the passengers," said Peruvian Airlines.

The company said that the decision would be leaving more than 3,000 passengers stranded, equivalent to 18% of the market, and would be leaving more than 600 staff unemployed, "only for acts that could be corrected immediately, without having to suspend the company"
Hegadil
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Hegadil » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:38 pm

americorps wrote:Yes, I am one of the biggest cheerleaders for Peruvian Airlines as I have used them half a dozen times and found their rates low, flights ontime, customer service above par and experienced no problems with their planes.

However, they seem to be having some issues and the government has closed them down for 90 days after recently failing safety inspections.

I know this is a travel related issue, the reason I posted it here is that more people see this thread and the information may be of immediate concern to some. If Kelly feels it should go to travel, I totally understand.

Link below to article in Spanish

http://elcomercio.pe/economia/1054304/n ... n-airlines

Yes, this week was horible...my AA flight was delayed beyond all recall. Finally a staff person offered me a better flight with LAN....as my luggage swept away down the conveyor. hey! what about my baggage claim and change of destination? "Don't worry about it," she relied tersely." The hell!....I went down to the end of the belt....luggage gone. oh well..LAN was a first class ride to San Francisco. I waited at the carousel...and waited, and waited. Ahyup....last man standing and no luggage. With no baggage claim offered, it would be hard indeed to get my things back. on to Seattle on Alaska. The original AA flight was 8 hours late by then! That was Tues. Finally they were delivered to my door on a fri. night. NEVER let a staff person give you a ticket with no baggage claim!
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:59 am

Interestingly, just flew out Chavez and saw that one of the hangers had scafolding and was being repaired-repainted... the plot gets thicker
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:54 am

Apparently, the military has been ferrying stranded tourists out of Cuzco back to Lima.
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:32 pm

Sebastián Piñera, president of Chile, owns controlling interest in LAN, and he has often been accused of corruption. In fact, in 2007 he was fined $680,000 for insider training in LAN stocks, according to the Huffington Post.
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:45 pm

I also once read in the Huffington Post that the late Leslie Nielsen, not only starred in the movie (Airplane) but was also a member of the ROYAL CANADIAN AIRFORCE ,which I also think has nothing to do with this thread.
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:45 pm

Polaron wrote:Sebastián Piñera, president of Chile, owns controlling interest in LAN, and he has often been accused of corruption. In fact, in 2007 he was fined $680,000 for insider training in LAN stocks, according to the Huffington Post.

That's not quite accurate, he was forced to sell his LAN shares when he became president of Chile. I am pretty sure he did not hold the controlling interest either, but certainly a large portion of shares. I think that was the football club Colo-Colo he had controlling interest of, but I will stand corrected if need be. He was accused of being pretty slow about selling (read, finding buyers) his shares admittedly, but their were plenty of people demanding that he adhere to the constitutional Law. Again, this has nothing to do with this thread except I think some people rightly or wrongly think/accuse LAN of being behind the push for the closure. The problem I have with that, is with the new airlines starting up, LAN has a market here in South America for it's well kept and maintained fleet when it comes time to offload them (LAN buys a high percentage of it's fleet rather than leasing all of them) and like them or not, they do have a very good safety record. It would seem a little bit like shooting oneself in ones own foot.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:15 pm

i HATE LAN. that is all.
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:11 am

Apparently, they will be operational on almost all routes this Saturday, so I heard on the grapevine today.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:55 am

Yes, they will resume most operations Saturday.

http://www.peruthisweek.com/news-434-Pe ... -Saturday/
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:29 am

americorps wrote:Yes, they will resume most operations Saturday.

http://www.peruthisweek.com/news-434-Pe ... -Saturday/

It is good news , I really don't want LAN monopolize the domestic flight market.
ibanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Peruvian Airlines Reopens Saturday *edited

Postby ibanker » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:43 pm

LAN has a modern fleet and well trained and paid pilots. Why anyone would fly an airline like Peruvian using the oldest 737s available and that has now been suspended for safety violations is beyond me.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:50 pm

perhaps it was because there were no actual documented violations,

perhaps it is because they do not charge up to 400% more for tickets based on nationality,

perhaps it is because they have great customer service and employees who are more friendly and helpful in my experience,

perhaps because they will not arbitralily fine you if you accidently buy the wrong ticket for your nationality,

perhaps because the money is more likely to stay in Peru.

it is not beyond me at all.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:25 pm

ibanker wrote:LAN has a modern fleet and well trained and paid pilots. Why anyone would fly an airline like Peruvian using the oldest 737s available and that has now been suspended for safety violations is beyond me.

because LAN both price gouges and charges the gringo tax.
ibanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ibanker » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:19 pm

2 engine failures in one year in a very small fleet is dangerous. 25 year old airframes with thousands of cycles are dangerous.

You are still mad about the difference in fares for foreigners. Thats fine. LAN is still going to be the dominant airline here and you can be self righteous all you want about but it's not going to change anything.

If you are really that cheap, take the bus but watch out for the ravines.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:23 pm

wow.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:47 pm

ibanker wrote:2 engine failures in one year in a very small fleet is dangerous. 25 year old airframes with thousands of cycles are dangerous.

You are still mad about the difference in fares for foreigners. Thats fine. LAN is still going to be the dominant airline here and you can be self righteous all you want about but it's not going to change anything.

i'm not being self rightous, i'm a consumer dissatisfied with a corrupt, crappy corporation. their website doesn't even work half the time when i try to reserve flights, god forbid you try to use mastercard, you have to end up calling them because your payment doesn't go through online, in the year 2011. i can fly to frickin south carolina for the price they charge from lima to cusco sometimes.
Icachico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Icachico » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:31 pm

I'm with Ibanker on this one. I gladly pay a little more for quality, professional service and peace of mind that I am flying in a better maintained airplane.
And if the bus is too expensive for you, there's always your thumb.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:46 am

ibanker wrote:2 engine failures in one year in a very small fleet is dangerous. 25 year old airframes with thousands of cycles are dangerous.

We take the bus Lima - Chiclayo. We like the scenic ride. Never in a hurry. Besides we leave at night and arrive in the morning , 12 hours. Caveat; we take Oltursa (1st class). Oltursa has 3 drivers for the 12 hour ride. When in Peru, we prefer the bus. Also for security Oltursa has metal detectors and video tapes all passengers. I like the point to point travel. Once the doors close they do not open until you reach your destination (Lima - Chiclayo). 2 movies and 2 meals. We prefer the bus over the airlines.
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:33 am

tupacperu wrote:

We take the bus Lima - Chiclayo. We like the scenic ride. Never in a hurry. Besides we leave at night and arrive in the morning , 12 hours. Caveat; we take Oltursa (1st class). Oltursa has 3 drivers for the 12 hour ride. When in Peru, we prefer the bus. Also for security Oltursa has metal detectors and video tapes all passengers. I like the point to point travel. Once the doors close they do not open until you reach your destination (Lima - Chiclayo). 2 movies and 2 meals. We prefer the bus over the airlines.

Sounds like a plan to me. When I went from Buenos Aires to Santiago de Chile, I took a first-class bus. Seat reclined into a bed, we got 3 meals and great service, including 2 or 3 movies. Plus, the scenery was awesome. The road across the Andes had some awesome sights, and I didn't have to pay the $100 gringo tax for entering Chile. I'm with you, Tupac.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:45 pm

I understand your point, but it is not lost on me the statistics about bush crashes in Peru being among the worst in Latin America and the increasing violence and robberies on buses as well.

You can have the best bus driver in the world and the best buses, and agree with you 100% that Oltursa is among the best if not THE best in Peru, however, it is not only the driver of the bus I am worried about, but the driver of the other bus, the other trucks and the bandits.

Further, when I have 3 days free, and I want to visit my friend in Tacna, it does not serve my needs to spend 2 days on the bus and only a partial day with my friend. Further, with Peruvian Airlines, the round trip flight on my last trip was 240 soles, and the round trip first class bus was 220.

However, I do make frequent trips to Chimbote and Huaraz and I will pay the few extra soles to take Oltursa or Cruz del Sur over the competition because of their safety commitment and comfort level.

tupacperu wrote:

rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:34 pm

Icachico wrote:I'm with Ibanker on this one. I gladly pay a little more for quality, professional service and peace of mind that I am flying in a better maintained airplane.
And if the bus is too expensive for you, there's always your thumb.

Good thing about the market, is that there's something for everyone, be it PeruAir, LAN, the bus, a car, your thumb or a burro.
Icachico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Icachico » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:56 pm

Ok, I'm a little confused about this so please forgive me if this is a dumb question but can't you get that CE thingy, become legal, then buy a domestic LAN ticket @ the lower Peruvian price as a Peruvian resident?
Kindly explain, thanks.
ibanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ibanker » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:10 pm

Just saw an expose on Peruvian Airlines on Cuarto Poder (Peruvian News Show). Items below are facts from the MTC (Peruvian Transport Ministry) suspension report for Peruvian Airlines:

1. 52 mechanical issues per 10,000 takeoffs vs. 18 per 10,000 industry average (3X higher)
2. A pilot knowingly flew from Lima to Cuzco with one wheel down. Regulations demand an immediate return to departure airport as the plane would be subject to extra drag. Basic piloting.
3. Incomplete pilot flight records and schedules. ie, they don't know how much or how little their pilots are flying
4. Noticeable mechanical failures throughout their fleet including visible engine oil leaks and damaged aircraft doors.
5. Average age of 737-200's (bulk of fleet) is 30 years! The 737-300 (2) are 25 years old.
6. Airline is behind on pilot and SUNAT payments. What do they spend the LEAST on? Spare parts! SPARE PARTS! for the oldest fleet in Peru. Geezus.

I'm not writing this to rub it in anyone's nose, but I wouldn't let my worst enemy fly this airline, let alone fellow expats.

Spend the extra $150 or take a bus. No discount or principle is worth your safety.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:19 pm

Yes, the lower price tickets are for all legal Peruvian residents, that includes Peruvians with a DNI and any non Peruvian who has a Carnet de Extranjaria.

For me, the problem, besides the racial question of basing price on nationality, is when my family comes to visit. They are not wealthy people and my mother, for example, saved almost 4 years to afford a trip to Peru. To be charged more than 300% more limited her ability to see Peru, or would have if Lan were the only option. Since we have Star Peru, LC Busre and Peruvian Airlines and serve the destinations she wanted to visit, we could tell Lan to stuff their policy.

A family of 4 who want to come to visit the country and see Machu PIcchu and perhaps Iquitos can expect to spend anywhere between $1,500 to $2000 USD more than a local for the same trip. It seems indefensible to me.
Icachico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Icachico » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:03 pm

Wow, ibanker. That is downright scary. I wish every one who is contemplating making a domestic flight could read that.
Pollo mani
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Pollo mani » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:06 pm

That is $150.00 per flight segment, RT 300.00 more. I have to say that I find peruvain air to be a great option for my travel needs around peru.
Icachico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Icachico » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:18 pm

Americorps, I assume as a resident of Peru, you have a CE. My wife is from Ica and I may consider living in Peru in the future and possible applying for a CE so I can make less expensive (and safer)
LAN
domestic flights.
Are they difficult to receive?
Maybe you can tell me about your experience & how to proceed.
Thanks.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:28 pm

The 4 main ways to get a carnet are either to have a contract with an employer, have an investors visa, have a rentista visa (non work visa, for retirees or those with a steady income who will not work in Peru) or be married to a Peruvian.

None of them are any more complicated than any other transaction here, a bunch of red tape, and can take several months at times.

However, I often travel with family or friends who visit and I can not expect them to pay the racist price nor would I ask them to fly on a different airline and having been an elite traveler in the USA and having nothing but positive experiences with Peruvian Airlines, and not wanting to support what I consider a racist policy, I would never fly lan if I had a choice.

If you want to more about carnet, i suggest a search as the information is widely available on this website. If you need more info, I suggest you start a new topic with your specific questions. That way we keep this thread on topic and your questions, that might be important for others, gets seen and does not get burried.

Here are some links to get you started.

http://www.expatperu.com/requirements-f ... jeria.html
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11558&start=0&hilit=carnet
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12300&p=71585&hilit=+carnet#p71585
Icachico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Icachico » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:40 am

Thanks for the info & links, Americorps.
Having been married in Peru, I understand about the red tape & frustrations that go with doing anything legal down there. At times, I felt like pulling my hair out or at least macing someone. ;0)

My only experience with LAN has been on international flights & nothing but a great experience with great customer service which is night & day compared to the airlines here in the states.
Maybe you will reconsider LAN if you ever make any international flights.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:55 am

Icachico wrote:My only experience with LAN has been on international flights & nothing but a great experience with great customer service which is night & day compared to the airlines here in the states.
Maybe you will reconsider LAN if you ever make any international flights.

It seems to me the issue isn't so much the quality and caliber of LAN, but their pricing structure that charges non residents more.
Icachico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Icachico » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:27 am

It seems to me the issue isn't so much the quality and caliber of LAN, but their pricing structure that charges non residents more.[/quote]

Agreed. But can you put a price on safety?
Americorps is willing to sacrifice his family to save money by flying on some inferior airline.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:05 pm

Your comments are really charged and transparent.

Lan, by the way, was responsible for the worst air accident in Chilean history and has a list of accidents and safety violations of their own and more than 150 Lan passengers have been killed flying their planes.

How many have been killed or injured on Peruvian Airlines? Oh yea...none.
Icachico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Icachico » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:25 pm

But those statistics are skewed. LAN is older certainly there would be more of a history of incidents & accidents.
Peruvian Airlines is only 2 years old. Give 'em time and going by the expose that ibanker posted,
it's just a matter of time.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:28 pm

honestly, I do not think that Lan is dangerous, but I do not believe that Peruvian Airlines is life threatening.

My comment was more a response to your suggestion that I do not care for my family.

Comments like that tend to cheapen the value of the discussion and makes the trolls who speak that way loose all credibility. You were not appropriate
Icachico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Icachico » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:07 pm

Didn't mean to sound abrasive. I'm sure you care about your family as I do mine.
We'll just have to agree to disagree about airline choices.
An olive branch to you.
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:47 pm

americorps wrote:Your comments are really charged and transparent.

Lan, by the way, was responsible for the worst air accident in Chilean history and has a list of accidents and safety violations of their own and more than 150 Lan passengers have been killed flying their planes.

How many have been killed or injured on Peruvian Airlines? Oh yea...none.

The LAN group exists since 1929. Peruvian airlines is less than 2 years old. Aircrafts were less reliable and safety procedures were less strictly in the past. So, you cannot compare the safety record off both airlines.

Still note that Peruvian airlines is using Boeings that are over 30 years old whilst LAN Peru is using modern and recent AIRBUS aircrafts.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:51 pm

el conquistador wrote:
The LAN group exists since 1929. Peruvian airlines is less than 2 years old. Aircrafts were less reliable and safety procedures were less strictly in the past. So, you cannot compare the safety record off both airlines.

Still note that Peruvian airlines is using Boeings that are over 30 years old whilst LAN Peru is using modern and recent AIRBUS aircrafts.

If you had quoted the entirety of the conversation, including the following part, perhaps things would flow more completely.

Post by americorps » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:28 pm
honestly, I do not think that Lan is dangerous, but I do not believe that Peruvian Airlines is life threatening.
FHCZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FHCZ » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:59 pm

Here is the link to the Peruvian Airlines scary report aired on sunday 28 from Cuarto Poder News Program:

http://www.americatv.com.pe/portal/programas/prensa/investigaci-n/cuarto-poder/multimedia/cuarto-poder-cata-o-al-aire-280811

Fausto
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:15 am

redundant, it has already been linked to.
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:55 pm

Icachico wrote:But those statistics are skewed. LAN is older certainly there would be more of a history of incidents & accidents.
Peruvian Airlines is only 2 years old. Give 'em time and going by the expose that ibanker posted,
it's just a matter of time.

You are so right, Icachico. The exposé about Peruvian Airlines is troubling, and the data should not be summarily dismissed simply due to a dislike of LAN. To do so would be foolish at best, and disingenuous at worst. It's nice to see you on the boards here.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:51 pm

and if it were summarily dismissed solo for hatred of Lan, you would have a point, however, since that is not the case and only one sees the same data combined with personal experience does not come to the same conclusion as you, your presumption as to how that conclusion was achieved is flatly wrong.

There is way too much projection and way to many presumption about what people think and why they think it.

The arrogance that anyone thinks they can read my mind is laughable.
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:31 pm

Icachico wrote:Ok, I'm a little confused about this so please forgive me if this is a dumb question but can't you get that CE thingy, become legal, then buy a domestic LAN ticket @ the lower Peruvian price as a Peruvian resident?
Kindly explain, thanks.

Explain what, exactly? I don't like the idea of paying one fare with my Peruvian passport or DNI and my husband paying a different fare, for not being Peruvian..

Anyway, I don't compromise safety. I will pay for and use the best (in my opinion) airline.
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register