Buying land as a tourist

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
bpdavis

Buying land as a tourist

Postby bpdavis » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:59 pm

Hey My wife and I are living in Peru on a tourist visa. We are also are looking at buying a small plot of land. I wanted to know if this is possible. In the notaria they are saying that I can do this with a passport. I want a second opinion. The lot is part of an association in Puerto Maldonado.

NexLevel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Buying land as a tourist

Postby NexLevel » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:11 pm

as a tourist, you need to get a document from SUNAT giving you permission to sign a contract.
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:16 pm

NexLevel wrote:as a tourist, you need to get a document from SUNAT giving you permission to sign a contract.

No, I believe it needs to be a stamp in your passport that gives you a ''special permission to sign a contract'' legally. This you can only do in Migraciones which is close to the end of Av. Brasil in Lima. Costs about US$50. (there may be some places outside of Lima, not sure)

Here's the form. Print it and complete it
http://www.digemin.gob.pe/formularios/f-004.pdf

After you have this stamp and you later want to leave the country, THEN you get the document from SUNAT saying that you do not owe taxes in Peru and are free to leave.

If buying land is the same as buying a property i.e apartment, then this info is 100% correct.
NexLevel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby NexLevel » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:54 pm

thanks for the correction! LOL, I should have been suspicious when I read only 1 document is needed. This is Peru, so minimum of 5 official docs are needed in order to do anything.
Pollo mani
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Pollo mani » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:37 pm

I have heard that there can be problems after the fact of buy property here, be it land or apartments as a tourist using your passport. The problem I heard that can arise is when you renew your passport the number changes on that document. Not sure this is a problem but worth looking into before making such a purchase I feel.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:06 pm

Pollo mani wrote:I have heard that there can be problems after the fact of buy property here, be it land or apartments as a tourist using your passport. The problem I heard that can arise is when you renew your passport the number changes on that document. Not sure this is a problem but worth looking into before making such a purchase I feel.

Correct, you need to make the change in the registerios publicos when that happens or you will not be able to sell and will also need a new stamp in your passport (to sign contracts).
leoo24

Postby leoo24 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:00 pm

WOW

i got the stamp in my passport to sign contracts the last time i was in peru, i didn't have any form about taxes, the guys at the airport saw the stamp and didn't say anything!

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register