What private schools would you recommend?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
susita83
Gold Member
Gold Member

What private schools would you recommend?

Postby susita83 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:22 pm

First of all, let me start off by saying I have 3 kids, so I can't afford exhorbitant tuition rates... and I don't plan on sending them to Roosevelt! :)

I'm planning on moving so that my kids would start school in March 2013.

Expats... what schools do your kids/nieces/nephews go to?

Kelly

Re: What private schools would you recommend?

Postby Kelly » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:18 pm

My kids go to the CE Ingenieria in San Miguel - there are various campuses around Lima. It is a math intensive school - our older son is in 2nd year of secondary, each week he has classes in Arithmetic, algebra, geometry, trigonometry and reasoning. They also study physics, chemistry, biology, literature, psychology (!), economy and philosophy, as well as your regular classes like communication, civics and history.

The cost is going up to S/220 per month next year, which is very reasonable. The school uses it's own books, which cost S/200 at the beginning of the year.

The only complaint I have is this: because the price is so low, they don't pay their teachers well, and they have a high turnover rate. It may bother others that the school (in San Miguel, anyway) is in a small, old building without a lot of upkeep. But, they have a reputation for sending lots of kids on to uni, so I guess they're doing something right.

If I could afford it, I'd send my kids to Trilce which is very similar in program and has a good reputation. They also have campuses around Lima, including one on Benavides here in Miraflores, walking distance from my house.
susita83
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby susita83 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:38 pm

Thanks Kelly, I also have heard good things about Trilce. I heard a rumor that they are thinking of opening one in Lurin... Which would be PERFECT for us! Thanks for the advice! I'm trying to weigh our options, I have no idea how Peruvians can afford to pay so much for private education.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:11 pm

If you live around Lurin you could have a look at Euramericano in Pachacamac.
http://www.euroamericano.info
susita83
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby susita83 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:28 pm

fanning wrote:If you live around Lurin you could have a look at Euramericano in Pachacamac.
http://www.euroamericano.info

The school looks beautiful and is in a wonderful location, but is quite costly at $500/month per student. :(
susita83
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby susita83 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:07 am

Anybody have any other schools they'd recommend?
amylimena
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby amylimena » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:44 pm

I always hear great things about some of the "alternative" schools if you would be interested in those. I have many Peruvian friends who have graduated from them and have gone on to do great things. The tuition rates tend to be lower there as well.

There is one in Villa (Chorrillos) called La Casa de Cartón: http://www.lacasadecarton.edu.pe/admision.htm

And another in Barranco called Los Reyes Rojos: http://www.losreyesrojos.edu.pe/conteni ... =1&curso=0

There are a few others...one in Surco and one in Magdalena I think but I forget the names.
susita83
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby susita83 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:50 am

Thanks Amy, those schools look very interesting & you're right, much more reasonable tuition. :D
kai1971

Postby kai1971 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:14 am

Are any of these schools teaching all subjects in English? I am looking for a reasonably priced English school, and can't seem to find anything short of $8,000/yr + thousands more for entrance fees. Currently we are using home schooling but I did not want to continue that now that we are here. Any suggestions? My child is ready for the equivalent of the 8th grade.
Jalapenomel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jalapenomel » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:23 pm

kai1971 wrote:Are any of these schools teaching all subjects in English? I am looking for a reasonably priced English school, and can't seem to find anything short of $8,000/yr + thousands more for entrance fees. Currently we are using home schooling but I did not want to continue that now that we are here. Any suggestions? My child is ready for the equivalent of the 8th grade.
Euroamericano is entirely taught in English.
International_Mom

Postby International_Mom » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:47 am

susita83 wrote:First of all, let me start off by saying I have 3 kids, so I can't afford exhorbitant tuition rates... and I don't plan on sending them to Roosevelt! :)

This is not the first post that I have seen that seems to be slamming Roosevelt. Please, could you tell me what is wrong with the school?
franchute

Postby franchute » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:19 am

International_Mom wrote:This is not the first post that I have seen that seems to be slamming Roosevelt. Please, could you tell me what is wrong with the school?

Well I think she said that because Roosevelt does qualify as "exhorbitant tuition rates"!
susita83
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby susita83 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:51 pm

franchute wrote:
International_Mom wrote:This is not the first post that I have seen that seems to be slamming Roosevelt. Please, could you tell me what is wrong with the school?

Well I think she said that because Roosevelt does qualify as "exhorbitant tuition rates"!

Exactly. I'm not exactly rolling in the dough over here, plus I'll have 4 kids. :shock:
susita83
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby susita83 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:28 pm

Oh & another question... do these schools normally give sibling discounts? We'll be OK at first with only 2 in school but sooner or later their little sisters will be following them. Just curious.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:34 pm

I studied at San Andres, a great school. At that time, the school was only for men, but actually it is men - women . When I studied there, it was focus on middle class students from families with moral rectitude. They don't let bad students get in , and were very strict.

http://www.sanandres.edu.pe/

Another option, is not a private school, but probably one of the best public schools in Lima. The name is Scipion Llona, in Miraflores. I went with a friend of mine and her boy to the schools some years ago, I saw a well organized school.

http://insteducscip.blogspot.com/
NexLevel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby NexLevel » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:45 pm

International_Mom wrote:
susita83 wrote:First of all, let me start off by saying I have 3 kids, so I can't afford exhorbitant tuition rates... and I don't plan on sending them to Roosevelt! :)

This is not the first post that I have seen that seems to be slamming Roosevelt. Please, could you tell me what is wrong with the school?

I don't think there's anything wrong with the school per se, but more with the students and parents. I am generalizing of course, but the students can be spoiled brats and the parents can have a mentality that they are better than everyone else because they are rich.
susita83
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby susita83 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:46 pm

windsportinperu wrote:I studied at San Andres, a great school. At that time, the school was only for men, but actually it is men - women . When I studied there, it was focus on middle class students from families with moral rectitude. They don't let bad students get in , and were very strict.

http://www.sanandres.edu.pe/

Another option, is not a private school, but probably one of the best public schools in Lima. The name is Scipion Llona, in Miraflores. I went with a friend of mine and her boy to the schools some years ago, I saw a well organized school.

http://insteducscip.blogspot.com/

Thank you! :D It even says on thier website... "descuento para hermanos." I will have to be making a visit!
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:21 pm

I just took my son OUT of Scipion Llona. Hate it. Overcrowded, too many kids in the classes, teacher have no control.There are a lot of problem kids from problem families, to the point that the teachers have about given up because they get no parental support. There were constantly kids talking and walking around in the classes, to the point that my kid had trouble paying attention or sometimes even hearing the teacher. When he would try to get help from a teacher after class or ask them to clarify something, they would tell him "he should pay attention during class".

I'm not the kind of parent that stands up for my kids thinking they're little angels - We wanted to work WITH the teachers to help our kids succeed. I was having trouble with my older son doing his homework, so I told him to make a list of his assignments each day and get it signed off by the teacher - the teacher refused. "I don't have time" is what we were told. You don't have time to initial a paper so that we know the kid is doing his homework? They would tell us "you need to be more aware in the home"... how can I make sure he's doing his homework if I don't know what homework he has??? :!: :?:

My son says to add "and they wouldn't let us play football! why have a court for fulbito if they won't let us play?" :D
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:16 pm

Kelly, it is shocking to know that about S.Llona.

I saw a totally different scenario some years ago, an organized school where not anyone could be part of the school and the administration selected them through tests, only the better children could be enrolled
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:55 pm

I believe you! My husband knew the school as having a very good reputation too, and it seemed really great when when we first enrolled them 2 years ago. Our older son went there one year, our younger son went there through this year. If I could have afforded it, I would have taken them out before the first year was up.

My older son was top of his class through primary school, policia escolar and all his teachers loved him. When he graduated to secondary, was when we moved them to Scipion Llona. His grades dropped so badly he had to do vacacionales to pass through to 2nd grade of secondary. He fell in with a group of bad kids there and has been in all sorts of problems ever since. That's why we took him out of the school after just one year.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:55 pm

I believe you! My husband knew the school as having a very good reputation too, and it seemed really great when when we first enrolled them 2 years ago. Our older son went there one year, our younger son went there through this year. If I could have afforded it, I would have taken them out before the first year was up.

My older son was top of his class through primary school, policia escolar and all his teachers loved him. When he graduated to secondary, was when we moved them to Scipion Llona. His grades dropped so badly he had to do vacacionales to pass through to 2nd grade of secondary. He fell in with a group of bad kids there and has been in all sorts of problems ever since. That's why we took him out of the school after just one year.
thisisluca

Postby thisisluca » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:32 am

make them go here ...you wont regret

http://www.losreyesrojos.edu.pe/indice.php

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register