American movie theatres?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
vida.en.peru
Gold Member
Gold Member

American movie theatres?

Postby vida.en.peru » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:49 am

Anyone know where the movie theatres that play in English are in Lima? Are there any in Miraflores? My daughter doesn't really understand Spanish too well yet & my husband & I want to take her every now & then for a family day. We went to the one right across from the center park (Ovalo) last Sunday, but the movies we in Spanish. I saw on another website that movies from US are generally played in English with Spanish subtitles, but we obviously went to the wrong one. Any recommendations?

Kelly

Re: American movie theatres?

Postby Kelly » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:00 am

Kids's movies are usually in Spanish, because little kids can't read subtitles very well.
Other movies are often in English with Spanish subtitles.
There will be a handful of movies that will give you the option of watching either a Subtitled version or a Dubbed version. It will note after the movie title what version is playing at what time, either (SUB) or (DOB).
vida.en.peru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vida.en.peru » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:14 am

Good to know. Thanks Kelly!
Meerut88

Postby Meerut88 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:03 pm

I have been to several movies at the theater on Ovalo Guttierez in Miraflores...just around the corner from Friday's restaurant on Ave Santa Cruz. Movies were in English with Spanish subtitles.
NexLevel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby NexLevel » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:23 am

I was told that that the movie theater in Larcomar always plays kids movies in English.
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:07 pm

The last two kids movies I saw in Larcomar with my daughter were in Spanish. But it's as simple as Kelly wrote, ask at the ticket office (or check out El Comercio) if the movie is doblado (translated into Spanish) or subtitulado (normally English with Spanish subtitles).
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:36 pm

In your case I would just buy the DVD's and watch them in English and as your daughter gets more comfortable with Spanish she can re-watch them in Spanish.
susita83
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby susita83 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:48 pm

Here in the states we're big on RedBox and Netflix. Although once in a while there's something you really want to see in the theaters... but for the most part when we're in Peru we go to Mercado Virgen de las Mercedes in Lurin and pick up a couple new-release DVD's for supercheap. Cheaper than renting a RedBox movie for 1 night!
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:48 pm

they're almost always in english with spanish subtitles. besides chick flick romantic comedies and like kelly said, kid's movies.
vida.en.peru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vida.en.peru » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:47 pm

Thanks guys!! I'll check those theaters out & look in El Comercio too..
vida.en.peru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vida.en.peru » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:56 pm

susita83 wrote:Here in the states we're big on RedBox and Netflix. Although once in a while there's something you really want to see in the theaters... but for the most part when we're in Peru we go to Mercado Virgen de las Mercedes in Lurin and pick up a couple new-release DVD's for supercheap. Cheaper than renting a RedBox movie for 1 night!

Suzy, I was ADDICTED to Redbox when I was still there...There was a promo in Dec called 15 days of Xmas & everyday they would text codes for 20 cents-$1..I was hooked lol
susita83
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby susita83 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:14 am

vida.en.peru wrote:Suzy, I was ADDICTED to Redbox when I was still there...There was a promo in Dec called 15 days of Xmas & everyday they would text codes for 20 cents-$1..I was hooked lol

:lol: Yeah, I got all those promo codes too! The people at 7-11 must think I'm crazy I'm there at least 3-4 times a week renting or returning.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register