Seafood is it safe to eat?

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
Pollo mani
Gold Member
Gold Member

Seafood is it safe to eat?

Postby Pollo mani » Wed May 16, 2012 3:35 pm

Just wondering how many here are still eating seafood? With the loss of so many differant sea animals is it safe to eat it?

falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Seafood is it safe to eat?

Postby falconagain » Wed May 16, 2012 5:08 pm

You basically play roulette whenever you eat seafood in Peru.
Unless somebody comes up with an affordable way to test it.

Anyway by the time is too polluted I do not think many people
will be left alive.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed May 16, 2012 10:07 pm

If you buy seafood at the market or supermarket then the rule is 'smell, touch and look''.

If you eat in restaurants, then make sure all fish is cooked properly and not half raw.

If you buy oysters then don't buy ones that are already open but only the ones that are closed.
captsirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captsirl » Wed May 16, 2012 10:12 pm

OK
If you want to eat seafood anywhere. Check it for your self
The temperature changed fast and the anchovies left just as fast . So there is a kill off going on right now. Its happened since the beginning of time. The American News companies are trying to make something out of nothing. When your at the market and you see something you like . Check it out. Dead rotten flesh is dead rotten flesh. It smells bad. Not just like fish. But putrid and It compresses and does not return . The flesh of a fish should recover similar to the base of your thumb where it meats the palm of your hand. We're not talking oysters here. Just fish. If they were caught alive and fresh packed on Ice. It will have a firm and fresh smell. Your body scenes will not make the gag reflex unless there is something wrong with it. So get close feel it with your fingers it should be firm and not too slippery. Press it it should recover just like your hand. And most of all it should smell like life not death . lol your on your own here but I think you know what I mean. They are not having a red tide here. Just a natural temperature change. The weaker animals cant chase the food.

Ask for sward fish. Peru Markets have had it this year because of the record catch and the bottom fell out of the market. It can be grilled baked blackened broiled any way you like to cook it. Dorado is also a good safe fish to eat and the flesh stays white after cooking. Its not marketable because it caught in all the oceans of the world.
If anyone asked I would love to take them for a tour of the markets and show them how to select fish.

But as far as the question goes. I have not heard of a mass poisoning. only a natural occurrence of a temperature change. I think you will find the fishing fleet is off the coast of Australia now having a field day as for this is where the cold water will bloom up.
Last edited by captsirl on Thu May 17, 2012 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed May 16, 2012 10:55 pm

Pollo Mani really loves seafood.

So much that he posted his topic twice.
JanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JanD » Thu May 17, 2012 3:08 am

Captsirl: "If anyone asked I would love to take them for a tour of the markets and show them how to select fish."

I will bear it in mind :idea:
Once when we're there (Sept. this year) I would love to accept your invitation, as both my wife and I are fond of eating almost everything that comes from the sea, but I do not know yet where the best places in Lima are to buy fish....
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu May 17, 2012 5:29 am

JanD wrote:Captsirl: "If anyone asked I would love to take them for a tour of the markets and show them how to select fish."

I will bear it in mind :idea:
Once when we're there (Sept. this year) I would love to accept your invitation, as both my wife and I are fond of eating almost everything that comes from the sea, but I do not know yet where the best places in Lima are to buy fish....

At the mercado in Magdalena Del Mar, there are some fish good stands that have a good selection. But I suggest to go early in the morning when the fish just arrived.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register