pay "gratification" to accountant in December?

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
tcjohans
Silver Member
Silver Member

pay "gratification" to accountant in December?

Postby tcjohans » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:41 am

Hello,

I have a new, small business here in Lima and wonder about the annual extra compensation that companies are required by law to pay to employees in December, by reason of Christmas ("gratificación por Navidad").

As it is, our accountant - who is an external service provider whom we pay 120 soles per month to handle our monthly accounting and who, as far as I know, is not on the official payroll ("planilla") of our company - has just now asked us for a "gratificacion" - i.e. a similar extra compensation this months for himself.

Explicitly, I wonder if we are required by law to grant such a "gratification" or if otherwise it is common/usual practice here in Peru to pay such a gratification to external service providers such as accountants.

Thank you,

Thomas

Pollo mani
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: pay "gratification" to accountant in December?

Postby Pollo mani » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:03 am

Thomas, you are not required by law to pay them gratificacion to service providers, How ever this person has control and access to your taxes,and could end you in a world of hurt with Sunat. My advice is to give it to keep them happy, could save you alot in the long run.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:10 pm

Just tell your accountant it is the policy of the company to only pay gratification to employees on planilla and you were advised by your lawyer to not do anything else..
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:44 pm

Pollo mani wrote:Thomas, you are not required by law to pay them gratificacion to service providers, How ever this person has control and access to your taxes,and could end you in a world of hurt with Sunat. My advice is to give it to keep them happy, could save you alot in the long run.

He already pays him 120 a month. I think that's already more than enough just to fill out a few papers.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register