183 Day Tourist Visa Is Legit

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

183 Day Tourist Visa Is Legit

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:03 pm

I just got this last night. I also like how they just stamped right over my 2005 visa stamp. I just said "Podria ser mas días por favor?" and the guy said, of course, 183 days is now the maximum, no problem. And showed me punching it into the computer. I was pretty happy after my long journey from San Francisco to Miami to Lima.

I also have to complement LAN's new planes with LCD tvs in every seat and a decent selection of movies and tv shows to choose from.

naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:19 pm

That's great. Do you have any ideas if you can just border hop and get 183 when you return?
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:36 pm

Arroz,

How many stamps do you have in your passport and how long have you been in Peru on a tourist visa?

And yeah, I also liked the LAN plane, even though they left my luggage in Madrid...
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:52 pm

I have no idea about border hopping, I've not tried it yet with that stamp. In terms of my stamps, I have about 6 full pages of Peru stamps in my passport. The guy last night never questioned me about that like the usually do.
NWernerAtHeart
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby NWernerAtHeart » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:32 pm

I sent "delejos" a PM asking for any insight on this whole issue since he said he works for the government. This was the response I got, which he requested that I post. This information is what he got after his most recent meeting with immigrations. It seems to me to confirm that immigrations itself isn't even sure what it's laws are since the 183 days is definitely gettable according to that picture, but anyway...here it is:

"No new law has been created. The law has been the same since a while.
This is how it goes:

You can stay up to 90 days with no problems at all. When you leave, you pay around 30US$ tax at the airport, show them your TAN (tarjeta andina de migracion-white paper thing that has a stamp) and of you go

If you want to stay longer, then you can stay up to 90 more days and pay a 1$ fine. Now there are two ways to go here:

1. You can ask for a visa extension, pay around 30 soles and they get you a stamp on your passport that allows you to stay for 30 more days, you can only do this up to 3 times. its cheaper and the best way to go if you want to get married to a peruvian, have a business or anything peruvian immigrations or citizenship related

2. You can just stay for over 90 days and on your way out you will have to pay the 1$ fine. Now if you stay for over 90 days you can still leave and they will still charge you the 1 per day fine... you do the math.

You can enter and leave as many times as you please as long as you are doing it in 180 days or less. My suggestion would be to keep it withing 170 days because our data processing is not the best so, even though you might have left within 180 days, it might be recorded as otherwise.

Boarder hoping? Have fun. If you ever get caught, you will just get an earful. Our immigration officers CANNOT arrest you on that, the worse that could happen is you will get your entry denied. In all the years I have worked for the peruvian government I have only heard of two cases like these.

Remember immigration officials, specially the ones located at the boarders, will try to find any excuse to get a "tip" from you (see bribe)
Overstaying or leaving and trying to gain reentry is their favorite. My advice: leave and come back with a peruvian or someone who is fluent enough and can be trusted.

Our immigration laws are meant to be enforced only when crimes are commited.

So to answer your question in a nutshell: Within the year you can stay no longer than 180 days. If you want to stay longer, you can. Just expect to pay a fee and be told: Bad gringo/a! Bad gringo/ don´t do that again!a by the officer who will welcome you when you come back next week. Its recomended not to stay longer if you are marrying someone from here or if you want to become a resident. Take a bus to the boarder and be back in a few days. Will be cheaper and will save you any possible trouble."
vid_1000
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vid_1000 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:06 pm

When we enterred on August 12th, I asked the immigration official if it was now possible to get 183 days on the stamp instead of the previous 90 days and she said yes, no problem. She asked how long we were staying and I said 9 days, so she gave us a stamp with 30 days on at that stage. Seems to be if you want 183 days, you need to let them know before they stamp.
TRAVELLER

180 DAYS ?

Postby TRAVELLER » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:27 pm

Quote:You can enter and leave as many times as you please as long as you are doing it in 180 days or less. My suggestion would be to keep it withing 170 days because our data processing is not the best so, even though you might have left within 180 days, it might be recorded as otherwise.

Are you saying then that as long as you leave before the 180 days you can reenter and get then what the official gives you ?

Or are you saying that you can only do this,´´leave and reenter´´ to get up to a total of 180 days ?

If you leave after 170 days then can you renter to get more time at the discretion of the official ?

Thanks

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register